Experts Unravel One Big Secret of PhotosynthesisMarch 24, 2021
An international team led by the researchers in Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) in Germany provided new insights in the transport of light-energy of Photosystem I (PSI), a complex, giant photosynthetic protein.
The researchers isolated the protein complex using mass-spectrometry, spectroscopy, and biochemical methods to characterize it in detail. They used the atomic structure of PSI to study the energy transfer inside the protein complex and the localization of the red chlorophylls. They found that these red chlorophylls are closely interacting with each other to enable the absorption of low-energy far red light. The researchers observed the red chlorophylls seem to interact with lipids on the surrounding membrane to make far red light accessible for photosynthesis.
For more details, read the article in Communications Biology.
You might also like:
- Rice Plants Engineered for Better Photosynthesis Make More Rice
- Scientists Unravel Mystery of Photosynthesis
- Structure and Function of Photosynthesis Protein Explained in Detail
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Research Team Releases Rye Genome Sequence
- Experts Initiate to Modernize OECD Biotechnology and Biosafety Recommendation of 1986
- NTU Singapore Develops Communication Device for Plants
- Pakistan Committed to Enhance Cotton Crop Output, Minister
- Japanese Researchers Discover Phytol as Agent for Root-Knot Nematode Resistance
- Chinese Study Confirms that Extreme GM Opposition is Associated With Low Objective Knowledge Levels
- Japan Launches World's First Genome-Edited Tomato
- Experts Unravel One Big Secret of Photosynthesis
- Gene Discovery to Help Increase Cereal Yields
- Positive Regulator of Cold Tolerance in Banana Found
- Improved CRISPR-Cas9 Version Knocks Out Multiple Plant Genes at Once
- Canada Exempts Non-novel Gene-edited Plants from Regulatory Review
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: