Omega-3 Canola Oil Bound for Market by Second Quarter of 2020March 25, 2020
A newly emerging omega-3 canola oil is set to be available in the market by the second quarter of 2020. Its developer recently partnered with an established food and seed processing company in the United States to speed up the crushing and production of their canola, which is the first land-based source of DHA nutrients.
Nuseed Omega-3 Canola was developed in collaboration with Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) and the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC). It is the world's first plant-based source of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids. Prior to this development, omega-3 fatty acids were more commonly sourced out from fatty fish like salmon. It is anticipated that one hectare of the canola has the potential to provide the same amount of omega-3 as 10 tonnes of wild-caught fish.
The company struck the collaboration with Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), a Chicago-based food and seed processing company, to speed up the production of their canola. The partnership was reported to be important in maintaining the value chain of their product as it ensures that the level of stewardship is constant from production to market and those stages in between. ADM is said to provide the capabilities and standards that Nuseed needs to scale up its production to meet the customers' demands.
The oils derived from the Omega-3 Canola will be processed into two types: Aquaterra intended for aquafeed and Nutriterra for human consumption. Both are said to be vital ingredients to provide a sustainable land-based source of omega-3 nutrients as an alternative to fish oil. This development can help alleviate the pressure on the use of wild fish stocks for oil production.
Read the press release from Nuseed for more details.
You might also like:
- Australian OGTR Approves Field Trial of GM Canola
- APHIS Announces Deregulation of GE Canola
- Australia's OGTR Receives License Application for Commercial Release of GM DHA Canola
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Biotech Crops in the Pipeline to Improve Food Quality and Bring Environmental Benefits
- Local Government Officials Warn Scientists of Biotech Critics in Uganda
- US Proposes to Use Genetically Engineered Crops to Support Southeastern Wildlife Refuges
- Omega-3 Canola Oil Bound for Market by Second Quarter of 2020
- Most Americans Believe GMOs Likely to Improve Global Food Supply
- Russia to Expedite Genetic Technologies and Genome Editing for Public Health, Agriculture, and Industry
- Researchers Develop Gene Disruption Method for Plant Pathogen
- Double Knockout of OsWRKY36 and OsWRKY102 Boosts Rice Lignification
- International Seed Federation Calls on Governments to Facilitate Movement of Seeds in the Time of COVID-19
- Scientists Say COVID-19 Coronavirus Has Natural Origins
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: