Research Reveals MON 810 and NK603 GM Maize Have No Effects on Rat Health or MetabolismDecember 19, 2018
A new, unprecedented study conducted by a large research consortium led by INRA reports that a diet based on MON 810 or NK603 transgenic maize does not affect the health or metabolism of rats. Under the conditions of GMO 90+1 project, the researchers did not detect any harmful effects of the MON810 and NK603 maize diets on the health and metabolism of rats, even after a lengthy exposure period.
For six months, rats were fed a diet that contains either genetically modified (GM) maize (MON 810 or NK603) or non-GM maize, in varying concentrations. Using high-throughput biology techniques, the researchers did not find any significant biological markers related to the transgenic maize diet. Neither did anatomic pathology examination reveal any alteration of the liver, kidneys, or reproductive system of the rats whose diet contained GM maize. The period of six months, which is double that of the test required by European regulations, is equivalent to one third of the average lifespan of rats.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Multidisciplinary Study Traces Movement of Maize in South America
- Rwandan Women in Biosciences Embrace Science Communication
- Iowa State University Study Says Anti-GMO Sentiment Has Repercussions for Developing World
- Scientists Discover Way to Make Rice Plants Replicate through Seeds as Clones
- Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM Chickpea
- Japan May Allow Genome-edited Food Sale
- Plants Don't Like to be Touched, Study Finds
- Stockholm University Scientists Discover Gene that Helps Submerged Plants
- Research Reveals MON 810 and NK603 GM Maize Have No Effects on Rat Health or Metabolism
- Study Shows Inheritance of Transgenes in Bt Cotton Lines Resistant to Bollworm
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Europe Grants CRISPR-Cas9 Patent to Calyxt
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used in Breeding Indica Glutinous CMS Line WX209A
Beyond Crop Biotech
- GM Pigs Resist Infection from Classical Swine Fever Virus
- Revised ISAAA Infographics: 22 Years of Biotech Crops in the World
- Talking Biotech: How Do We Get Consumers to Think Like Scientists?
Subscribe to CBU: