Alliance for Science Ghana Calls for Passage of Plant Breeders' Bill into LawDecember 12, 2018
Alliance for Science Ghana released a statement appealing to President Nana Akufo-Addo to ensure the passage of Plant Breeders' Right Bill into law. The group emphasized in their statement that passing the bill into law is vital in ensuring food security and improving the lives of farmers. The statement signed by the Alliance for Science Executive Member Reuben Nana Yaw Quainoo, was released during the Farmers' Day celebration.
"We are convinced that one sure way to turn things around would be government passing the long-awaited Plant Breeders' Right Bill into law. The bill was first introduced to parliament about 6 years ago but has yet to be approved…The bill when passed, will give scientists and science institutions intellectual property over new plant varieties they develop so they can earn royalties on them. This will encourage more private investments in the seed sector for the benefit of farmers and the nation as a whole. The bill when passed will help make the country more competitive in the seed industry and ensure food security," said Alliance for Science in their statement.
Read more from Joy Online.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Nobel Laureates: Fear of GM Crops Prevents Society from Benefiting from the Technology
- WRI Report Says GMOs and Gene Editing Can Help Improve Crop Breeding to Boost Yields to Feed the World
- Alliance for Science Ghana Calls for Passage of Plant Breeders' Bill into Law
- USDA to Release Final ‘Bioengineered' Food Labeling Standard
- Report Highlights USDA Technology Innovations
- Biotech Cotton in Pakistan Reached Highest Adoption in 2017
- OECD Study Provides New and Detailed Evidence on Market Concentration in Seed and GM Technology
- Aarhus University Researchers Release New Insights in Rust Resistance in Wheat
- Plants as Antifungal Factories
- Transgenic Pm3e Wheat Show High Resistance to Powdery Mildew
- International Research Team Finds Novel Function of Plant Hormone Jasmonic Acid
- International Conference on Microbes for Sustainable Agriculture
- Updated ISAAA Infographics: Do you know where biotech crops are grown?
- Researchers Discover Mechanism Disrupting CRISPR-Cas9
- CRISPR-Cas9 Reveals Role of SlPHO1;1 in Phosphate Nutrition of Tomato Seedlings
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: