PH Department of Science and Technology Hosts the National Biotechnology Week 2018November 14, 2018
The 14th National Biotechnology Week (NBW) of the Philippines starts this week with the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) as the host agency. DOST invites the public to know more about biotech and its benefits by participating in the activities and visiting the trade fair and exhibit at the World Trade Center, Pasay City on November 13-17, 2018.
During the press conference at the opening of the NBW, Department of Agriculture Undersecretary Segfredo Serrano said that the top three challenges that may be addressed through biotechnology are food security, industry competitiveness and productivity, and adaptation to climate change. He also emphasized that biotechnology will help address scarcity in rice and fisheries. "Biotechnology is a huge help in terms of providing breeding technologies, gene markings. There will be increased precision (in planting method)," Serrano said.
ISAAA and the SEARCA Biotechnology Information Center (SEARCA BIC) are two of the many organizations participating in the exhibit. ISAAA showcases the latest addition to its information resources, the ISAAA Biotech/GM Crops Image Gallery.
Read more about the NBW from the Philippine News Agency (PNA).
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Agricultural Biotech Advocates to Reach Out to Policymakers
- Genetic Mutatation Key to Resistance in Cotton Pest
- Research Shows Farmer Adjustments Offset Impact of Climate Change on Corn Production
- "Fooling" Soybeans Yields Better Plants a Generation Later
- Researchers Find Genetic Mechanism for Controlling the Shape of Fruits, Vegetables, and Grains
- Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM Wheat
- PH Department of Science and Technology Hosts the National Biotechnology Week 2018
- SEARCA BIC Organizes 3rd Agri-biotech Boot Camp for Senior High School Students
- Values Should be Considered in Discussions about GE Products
- Researchers Discover How to Engineer Plants with Enhanced Drought Resistance without Affecting Growth
- Gene Enhances Rice Tolerance to Tungro Virus
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Researchers Update on Potato Genome Editing
- CRISPR Used in Genome Imaging
- CRISPR is Perceived Similarly as GMOs in Five Countries
- Researchers Identify the Best-Performing Cas Nuclease
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy Networks to Facilitate Shift to Low Carbon Economy
- UC Davis European Plant Breeding Academy Class 6 Now Open for Registration
- Inside the Biotech Lab and Image Gallery
Subscribe to CBU: