Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM WheatNovember 14, 2018
The Australian Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has received a license application (DIR 165) from the University of Melbourne to conduct a field trial of genetically modified (GM) wheat with altered iron content.
The trial is proposed to take place between April 2019 and December 2023, on up to 10 sites per year with a maximum area of 2 hectares per site. The trial sites could be located in any of 132 possible local government areas in Victoria, New South Wales, Western Australia and South Australia. The trial would be subject to control measures that restrict the spread and persistence of the GM plants and their introduced genetic material. The GM wheat would not be used for human food or animal feed.
The OGTR is preparing a Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan for the application which would be released for public comment and further advice from experts, agencies, and authorities in late January 2019. There will be at least 30 days allowed for submission of comments.
For more information, including the notice of application, questions and answers, and summary of the license application, visit the DIR 165 page on the OGTR website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Agricultural Biotech Advocates to Reach Out to Policymakers
- Genetic Mutatation Key to Resistance in Cotton Pest
- Research Shows Farmer Adjustments Offset Impact of Climate Change on Corn Production
- "Fooling" Soybeans Yields Better Plants a Generation Later
- Researchers Find Genetic Mechanism for Controlling the Shape of Fruits, Vegetables, and Grains
- Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM Wheat
- PH Department of Science and Technology Hosts the National Biotechnology Week 2018
- SEARCA BIC Organizes 3rd Agri-biotech Boot Camp for Senior High School Students
- Values Should be Considered in Discussions about GE Products
- Researchers Discover How to Engineer Plants with Enhanced Drought Resistance without Affecting Growth
- Gene Enhances Rice Tolerance to Tungro Virus
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Researchers Update on Potato Genome Editing
- CRISPR Used in Genome Imaging
- CRISPR is Perceived Similarly as GMOs in Five Countries
- Researchers Identify the Best-Performing Cas Nuclease
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy Networks to Facilitate Shift to Low Carbon Economy
- UC Davis European Plant Breeding Academy Class 6 Now Open for Registration
- Inside the Biotech Lab and Image Gallery
Subscribe to CBU: