Biotech Has Huge Potential to Transform Uganda's Growth, Minister SaysOctober 10, 2018
Uganda has a hugely untapped but promising potential of biotechnology for her growth, said Hon. Dr. Elioda Tumwesigye, the country's Minister of Science, Technology and Innovations. The minister was categorical that bio-economy has greater potential to bring Uganda more money than oil.
Hon. Tumwesigye made the remarks while presiding over the Annual Biotechnology Science Awards organized by the Uganda Biotechnology and Biosafety Consortium (UBBC) on September 19, 2018. Erastus Nsubuga, UBBC's chair, echoed the minister's sentiments, saying investing in science will go a long way in supporting the development of a bio-economy.
Hans Peter Christopersen, who represented the Norwegian Ambassador at the awards, identified biotechnology as key in making agriculture more efficient and competitive. "Uganda has a very rich agricultural potential that ranges from crops to fish and animals but remains largely unexploited because of the reliance on outdated farming practices," he observed.
During the event, the most outstanding biotechnology innovators, entrepreneurs and communicators were feted for promoting biotechnology research and development in the country.
For more information about UBBC, contact Grace Prospero on email@example.com.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Biotech Has Huge Potential to Transform Uganda's Growth, Minister Says
- Gene Controlling Stem Juiciness in Sorghum Identified
- Gene-edited Soybeans Being Harvested in the US
- Survey: Most Americans Remain Confused About GMOs
- CRISPR-Cas9 Triple Gene Edited Camelina Plant Receives Nonregulated Status
- Biotech Maize to Boost Maize Supply in Pakistan
- Researchers Modify Plant Walls to Make Biofuel Production Easier
- Research Reveals Central Signal Sorting Hub in Plants
- Eustice: Gene-edited Crops Are Necessary
- Scientists Develop Transgenic Potato with Enhanced Tuber Quality and Stress Tolerance
- Cotton Gene Reduces Plant Sensitivity to Stress at Seedling Stage
- Scientists Report Functional Characterization of a Soybean Galactinol Synthase Gene Under Stress Conditions
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Show that Genome-editing is Highly Specific in Cotton
- Stable, Heritable Gene Edits in Wheat Can Be Produced in 36 Weeks
- Scientists Develop Easy Visual Screening of CRISPR-edited Strawberry and Soybean
- Researchers Develop a Versatile Vector Toolkit Applicable in Rice Gene-editing
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genes Responsible for Snapdragon Flower Color Identified
- 25 UK Species' Genomes Sequenced
Subscribe to CBU: