Int'l Grains Council Forecasts Increase in Spain's Grains Production in 2018-19October 3, 2018
Spain is the biggest importer of grain driven by its high demand for livestock feeds. It is also one of the two countries in the EU adopting biotech crops. The International Grains Council (IGC) released a forecast that Spain's total 2018-19 grains production is estimated at 21.7 million tonnes, up from 15.8 million in 2017-18. Spain grows Bt maize on a relatively large scale and according to IGC, maize production is expected to rise to 4.4 million tonnes from 3.7 million in 2017-18.
"Spain is the largest grower of Bt corn in the E.U.-28 and has traditionally defended a science-based approach to agricultural biotechnology decisions," the report said. "In Spain, GE corn plantings have coexisted with conventional corn since 1998."
The report also mentioned that Spanish farmers can decide to grow biotech or conventional crops based on market conditions. Almost all feed on the market has a default label saying ‘contains GE products.'
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UBIC Initiates Efforts to Integrate Biosciences into Uganda's Education System
- International Team of Biologists Create New Tomato Using Genome Editing
- Gene Discovered is 'Firing Pin' for Plant Immunity
- Researchers Find Mechanism to Help Engineer Plants to Make More Oil
- Research Shows Daily Morning Gene Activity Leads to Flowering
- ITIF Files Petition to Ban Non-GMO Labels
- Scientists Design a More Productive Maize to Cope with Future Climates
- Filipino Farmers Express Interest to Plant Bt Eggplant
- Int'l Grains Council Forecasts Increase in Spain's Grains Production in 2018-19
- Researchers Discover Protein Prevents Plants from Premature Flowering
- EFSA Publishes Risk Assessment of New Sequencing Information for GM Soybean BPS‐CV127‐9
- Scientists Identify Kinases Involved in Pineapple CAM Photosynthesis
- Gene Expression During Drought Determined in Papaya
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Wipe Out a Mosquito Population Through Genome-editing
- RNAi Improves CRISPR-Cas9 Efficiency and Selection
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 to Improve Grain Yield in Rice
- Gene Gun Allows Transient Expression of CRISPR-Cas9 in Wheat
- CRISPR Helps Groundcherry Domestication
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: