Study Shows Farm Income and Production Impacts of GM Crop Technology from 1996 to 2016June 20, 2018
GM crops commercialization has occurred at a rapid rate since the mid 1990s, with important changes in both the overall level of adoption and impact in 2016. This is according to the research paper on farm income and production impacts of using GM crop technology in 1996–2016 authored by PG Economics' Graham Brookes and Peter Barfoot. The annual updated analysis estimates the value of using GM technology in agriculture at the farm level, including impacts on yields, key variable costs of production, direct farm (gross) income, and impacts on the production base of the four main crops of soybeans, corn, cotton, and canola.
The paper highlights that there continues to be very significant net economic benefits at the farm level amounting to $18.2 billion in 2016 and $186.1 billion from 1996 to 2016. Majority of the gains (52%) have been received by farmers in the developing countries. Around 65% of the gains were derived from yield and production gains, while the remaining 35% come from cost savings. It was also mentioned that the technology has also made important contributions to increasing global production levels of the four main crops. The technology added 213 million tons of soybeans and 405 million tons of maize to the global production since the introduction of the technology in 1996.
Read the paper published in GM Crops and Food.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Study Shows Farm Income and Production Impacts of GM Crop Technology from 1996 to 2016
- AATF Receives Multi-million Grant for Bt Maize Commercialization in Africa
- Agriculture Minister Proposes a Law to Regulate Seeds and Seed Varieties in Namibia
- High-protein Maize Shows Resistance to Parasitic Weed
- Critical Plant Gene Takes Detour that Could Boost Biofuel Yields
- HarvXtra® Alfalfa Trait Deregulated in Argentina
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments on GM Canola Field Trials
- "Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" Book Now Available in Gujarati
- Plant Defense Genes Rewired to Reduce Crop Waste
- New Type of Photosynthesis Discovered
- GmNMH7 Inhibits Root and Nodule Development in Soybean
- IbSnRK1 Gene Improves Starch Content and Quality in Sweet Potato
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Downregulation of C3'H Gene in Rice Alters Cell Wall Structures
- Scientists Find Candidate Gene for Improving Potassium Deficiency Tolerance in Rice
- APETALA2 Gene Key to Improving Seed Production in Brassica Species
- Researchers Use CRISPR to Improve Nutrient Use Efficiency of Rice
- GPMB 2018
- World Food Day 2018 Poster Contest
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (June 29, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (June 22, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (June 29, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: