U.S. FDA Approves China's GE RiceJanuary 24, 2018
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Huahui-1, a genetically engineered rice variety developed by Huazhong Agricultural University.
"Based on the safety and nutritional assessment Huazhong has conducted, it is our understanding that Huazhong has concluded that human and animal foods from Huahui No.1 rice grain are not materially different in composition, safety, and other relevant parameters from rice-derived human and animal food currently on the market, and that genetically engineered Huahui No.1 rice grain does not raise issues that would require premarket review or approval by FDA," said Dennis Keefe, director of the FDA's Office of Food Additive Safety in his approval letter.
Huahui-1 is genetically engineered to express the insecticidal protein Cry1Ab/Cry1A to confer resistance to lepidopteran insect pests. Read the approval letter in the U.S. FDA website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Nigerian Farmers May Soon Plant Bt Cowpeas
- Scientists Recommend Bt Maize as Solution to Fall Armyworm Infestation in Kenya
- U.S. FDA Approves China's GE Rice
- Study Finds that Hormone Keys Plant Growth or Stress Tolerance, But Not Both
- Plant Biologists Develop Synthetic Auxin to Understand Plant's Mysteries
- Scientists Find "Thermostat" in Plant Immunity
- Wild Rice from Crocodile-Infested Waters in Australia May Help Boost Global Food Security
- Study Reveals More Genes are Active in High-Performance Maize
- EU Court of Justice Advocate General Says Gene Edited Crops Should be Exempted from GM Food Laws
- Apple Protein MdY3IP1 Triggers Early-Flowering and Salt-Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Scientists Reveal the Role of SlJAZ2 in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- CmHSFA4 Positively Regulates Salt Stress Tolerance in Transgenic Chrysanthemum
- 5th International Rice Congress
- Optimized CRISPR-Cas9 Induces Targeted Mutation in Kiwifruit
- Researchers Apply CRISPR-Cas9 on Carrot Cells
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: