Farmers Fight to Plant GE Maize MON810 in ItalyJune 28, 2017
Giorgio Fidenato, President of the Federated Farmers Association, and other applicants were prosecuted before the Italian District Court of Udine in November 2015 for planting genetically engineered (GE) maize MON810 in breach of a national decree issued on July 12, 2013 that prohibits its cultivation in the country. Italy has banned the cultivation of GE crops despite two rulings by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) stating no new scientific evidence has been presented to support use of the safeguard clause.
On March 30, 2017, following a request for a preliminary ruling from the Italian District Court of Udine, European Court of Justice (CJEU) advocate general Michal Bobek proposed the CJEU conclude that member states can adopt emergency measures concerning genetically modified food and feed only if they can establish, in addition to urgency, the existence of a situation which is likely to constitute a clear and serious risk for human, animal health, and the environment, as set out in Art. 34 of EU Regulation No. 2003/1829 on genetically modified food or feed. The CJEU Judges have begun their deliberations in this case, and judgment will be given at a later date.
For more details, read the USDA Foreign Agricultural Service GAIN Report for Italy.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Adesina Wins 2017 World Food Prize
- New Alliance Seeks to Fast Track Crop Improvement in Africa
- 'Food Evolution' Movie Redefines GM Food Debate
- Study Finds Plants Sacrifice 'Daughters' to Survive the Cold
- Chinese Scientists Develop Purple Rice Using Novel Gene Stacking System
- Farmers Fight to Plant GE Maize MON810 in Italy
- Researchers Discover Molecular 'Samurai Sword' Directs Plant Growth
- Researchers Identify Thermosensitive QTL for Enhanced Tuber Yield in Potato
- High-carotenoid Maize Does Not Compromise Vitamin A Absorption in Poultry, Study
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Ancient Oak Genome Sequenced; Reveals Youth
- Overexpression of PtCYP85A3 Promotes Growth and Biomass Production in Poplar
- Journal of Ecology Publishes Ecological Solutions to Global Food Security
- Researchers Review Genome Editing Techniques for Nitrogen Fixation Research in Legumes
- University of Ljubljana Discusses New Variants of CRISPR Genome Editing Enzymes
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 29, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: