FAO and WFP Leaders Urged by Pope Francis to Continue Efforts to Combat HungerSeptember 7, 2016
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Director General Jose Graziano da Silva and World Food Programme Executive Director Ertharin Cousin met with the head of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis on September 4, 2016 to discuss about hunger and poverty efforts. Pope Francis highlighted the inspiration of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, who has been declared as a saint of the Catholic Church. He said that Mother Teresa devoted her life to help the poorest of the poor and shamed world leaders for the "crime of poverty" they have created.
"Pope Francis encouraged us to keep up the good work and as a strong advocate of the fight against hunger and malnutrition he reiterated his full disposal to help", said Graziano da Silva.
According to Cousin, Pope Francis consistently calls on the world to feed the hungry in almost all of his speeches. "His voice helps ensure the world prioritizes the global challenge of addressing hunger and malnutrition," she added.
Read the media release from FAO.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO and WFP Leaders Urged by Pope Francis to Continue Efforts to Combat Hunger
- Youth Learn about Biotech at the AgriKool Expo in Uganda
- Scientists Reveal Genetic Ancestry of Cultivated Strawberry
- Improved Procedure Accelerates Tomato Engineering
- Researchers Create Plant that Grows Fast and Defends Itself from Insects
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Commercial Release of GM Cotton
- Biotech Mustard is Safe, Says India's Technical Committee
- Study Reports that Plants are Adapting to Increasing Atmospheric CO2
- VIB Fact Series on Bananas and GM Food Safety Released
- HT Soybean (DAS-44406-6) Grown in Brazil is Compositionally Equivalent to Non-GM Soybean
- Plant Defensin from Alfalfa Confers Resistance to Leaf Rust in Transgenic Wheat
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Australian Scientists Decode Clover DNA
- Researchers Evaluate Health of Transgenic Donor Pigs Expressing Five Human Genes
- Agrobacterium-delivered CRISPR/Cas9 for Targeted Mutagenesis in Maize
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: