Expression of Tomato Prosystemin in Tobacco Enhances Plant Resistance to Botrytis cinereaMarch 2, 2016
Systemin is a tomato peptide hormone that promotes plant defense against plant-chewing pests. Homologues of tomato prosystemin are present in other Solanaceae, but not in tobacco. Moreover, tobacco does not respond to the external application of the tomato systemin. Previously, it was shown that the expression of the full-length tomato prosystemin cDNA in tobacco increases plant tolerance against pathogenic fungi.
Giandomenico Corrado of Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II in Italy led a team of researchers and evaluated the relevance of the systemin sequence. The team generated transgenic tobacco plants that express a mutated prosystemin lacking the systemin sequence region. Analyses showed that the constitutive expression of the truncated prosystemin altered the proteomic profile of tobacco leaves and increased plant resistance against Botrytis cinerea.
The overlap of the modifications caused by the expression of the full-length and the truncated prosystemin indicated that these alterations occur in the absence of the systemin sequence.
For more information about the study, read the article in Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Team Decodes Mesoamerican Bean Genome
- Researchers Find Molecular Marker for Calcium in Potatoes
- New Study Reveals Eliminating GMOs would Take Toll on Environment, Economies
- Study Shows Plants Forget Unused Memories
- Filipino Farmer Leaders Learn from Bt Brinjal Farmers in Bangladesh
- Genome Sequence of Cultivated Groundnut Completed
- Wageningen UR Develops Method for Selecting Plants with Better Photosynthesis
- Overexpression of PslTIR1 in Tomato alters Fruit Shelf-life Characteristics
- Mutated Garlic Gene Expressed in Rice Confers Resistance to Sheath Blight
- Expression of Tomato Prosystemin in Tobacco Enhances Plant Resistance to Botrytis cinerea
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Bacteria Take "Mug Shots" of Threatening Viruses
- University of Missouri Scientists Breed PRRS Resistant Pigs using CRISPR
From the BICs
- UBIC Holds Meeting for Biotech Communication Stakeholders
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: