Agri-biotech Discussed in APEC 2015October 7, 2015
As part of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation's (APEC) Food Security Week hosted this year by the Philippines in partnership with ISAAA, the High Level Policy Dialogue on Agricultural Biotechnology (HLPDAB) convened representatives of the APEC member economies to discuss agri-biotech developments in the region on September 30-October 1, 2015 at the Iloilo Convention Center in Iloilo City. The agenda focused on the theme "Enhancing cooperation on biotechnology for improved resiliency, inclusive growth, and food security." According to the APEC, the HLPDAB is "a recognition of the importance APEC Ministers and Leaders place on member economies' work on the safe introduction of biotechnology products, and on obtaining public acceptance of these products."
The workshop was chaired by Philippine Department of Agriculture Undersecretary Segfredo Serrano. Dr. Randy A. Hautea of ISAAA presented the Outcomes of the Workshop on Fostering the Benefits of Innovations in Plant Breeding and Science Communication conducted in June.
The activity was preceded by the Forum on the Global Alliance for Ag Biotech Trade (GAABT) Model Policy on Low-level Presence, and GM and Organic Farming Co-existence, an activity initiated by CropLife Philippines featuring Dr. Stephen Yarrow from CropLife Canada. Chair of the Philippine Department of Agriculture's (DA) Biotechnology Advisory Team Dr. Saturnina Halos reiterated major impact of biotech corn adoption among Filipino farmers' lives by increasing their yields and income, as well as provided insights on co-existence.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UN Adopts New Global Goals to End Poverty
- Ghanaian Farmers Call on Government to Support Biotech Outreach
- A Gene Vital for Rice Seed Survival During Flooding Found
- Modeling Tool Identifies Genes that Control Plant Stress Response
- CAST Paper Reviews the Pros and Cons of Food Process Labels
- Philippine DA Undersecretary Acknowledges Support of Farmers for Bt Eggplant
- Agri-biotech Discussed in APEC 2015
- Development of Communication Strategies for Agri-biotech Adoption in Asia
- Production of Sweeter Tomato Fruits by Expression of a Transcription Factor Gene
- OsAlaAT1 Gene and its Role in the Regulation of Starch Storage in Rice Endosperm
- Overexpression of AtVIT1 Increases Accumulation of Iron in Cassava
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Feeding on Resistant Rice Enhances Expression of OoDAD1 Gene in the Asian Rice Gall Midge
From the BICs
- Young Indian Bt Cotton Farmers Meet and Greet African Delegates
- Kenyan County Executives of Agriculture Vouch for Bt cotton
- Biotech Corn in the Philippines: A Country Profile
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: