OsAlaAT1 Gene and its Role in the Regulation of Starch Storage in Rice EndospermOctober 7, 2015
Alteration of storage substances in rice leads to floury endosperm. Since floury mutants have physical attributes beneficial for milling, identification and characterization of those mutants are valuable. Jungil Yang of Kyung Hee University in South Korea, together with colleagues, identified a floury endosperm mutant caused by a T-DNA insertion in Oryza sativa alanine-aminotransferase1 (OsAlaAT1).
Analysis found that OsAlaAT1 is predominantly expressed in developing seeds during active starch synthesis and catalyzes the conversion of pyruvate to alanine. Further analysis also revealed that OsAlaAT1 expression is induced by low oxygen conditions.
The osalaat1 mutant exhibited less amylose while its amylopectin is structurally altered. Expression of the starch synthesis genes GPases, OsSSI, OsSSIIa, and OsPPDKB also decreased in the mutant, suggesting the role of OsAlaAT1 in starch synthesis in developing seeds under low concentrations of oxygen.
To learn more about the study, read the article in Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UN Adopts New Global Goals to End Poverty
- Ghanaian Farmers Call on Government to Support Biotech Outreach
- A Gene Vital for Rice Seed Survival During Flooding Found
- Modeling Tool Identifies Genes that Control Plant Stress Response
- CAST Paper Reviews the Pros and Cons of Food Process Labels
- Philippine DA Undersecretary Acknowledges Support of Farmers for Bt Eggplant
- Agri-biotech Discussed in APEC 2015
- Development of Communication Strategies for Agri-biotech Adoption in Asia
- Production of Sweeter Tomato Fruits by Expression of a Transcription Factor Gene
- OsAlaAT1 Gene and its Role in the Regulation of Starch Storage in Rice Endosperm
- Overexpression of AtVIT1 Increases Accumulation of Iron in Cassava
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Feeding on Resistant Rice Enhances Expression of OoDAD1 Gene in the Asian Rice Gall Midge
From the BICs
- Young Indian Bt Cotton Farmers Meet and Greet African Delegates
- Kenyan County Executives of Agriculture Vouch for Bt cotton
- Biotech Corn in the Philippines: A Country Profile
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: