Malting Barley Variety Contains a New Allele of Acid Tolerance GeneAugust 5, 2015
A team of researchers led by Miao Bian from the Huazhong Agricultural University conducted a study that will help in developing acid-tolerant malting barley. Acid tolerance is an important trait in crops since acid soils inhibit root growth which may lead to yield losses. An acid tolerance gene has already been identified, however, this gene causes undesirable malting trait quality.
In the study, the researchers were able to identify Br2, a Brazilian malting variety cultivar that is tolerant to acid soil. Further studies in this cultivar reveal that the HvMATE gene located in chromosome 4 is the one responsible for its acid tolerance. Based on the HvMATE gene the researchers then developed Cit7, a gene-specific marker that can be used for marker assisted selection in developing new acid tolerant barley varieties.
Read the details of the study at BMC Genetics.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Tanzania's Key Ag-Biotech Stakeholders Undergo SciCom Training
- GAIN Report Presents Agri-biotech Status in Morocco
- GMO Question Determines Winner of Miss Uganda 2015
- US Biotech Crops Alliance Discuss Commercial Possibilities
- USDA Scientists Develop New Technique for Lunasin Extraction
- One of 30 Top Biotech Influencers is New Dean at Tuskegee University
- Plants Release Animal-like Signals When Stressed
- NRGene Decodes Complete Genome of Emmer Wheat
- Review on Public Acceptance of Plant Biotechnology in Europe
- New Method to Generate Extended Data for Genome Assemblies Faster, Better, Cheaper
- Targeted Increase of Naturally Occurring Sugar Improves Yield of Drought Affected Corn
- Malting Barley Variety Contains a New Allele of Acid Tolerance Gene
- Rust Fungi Genes Provide Insights in Developing a Rust-Resistant Cereal Crops
- Arabidopsis NPR1 Gene Confers Broad-Spectrum Disease Resistance in Strawberry
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: USA
Subscribe to CBU: