Scientists Study Effects of Bt Brinjal on Rhizospheric Bacterial Community StructureSeptember 25, 2013
A two-year study was conducted to investigate whether Bt brinjal has an effect on the rhizospheric bacterial community structure. Scientist Amit Kishore Singh from Banaras Hindu University and colleagues screened a Bt brinjal event (VRBT-8) using an insect bioassay and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
DNA amplification through quantitative polymerase chain reaction revealed that the quantity of bacterial 16S rRNA gene copies were lower in soils associated with Bt brinjal. Further analysis showed that there was slight reduction in microbial biomass in Bt brinjal soils. Gene fragments also indicated that 13 different bacterial groups with the exclusive presence of β-Proteobacteria, Chloroflexus, Planctomycetes, and Fusobacteria in non-Bt, and Cyanobacteria and Bacteroidetes in Bt soils, respectively, which implied minor changes in the community structure. These observed effects of Bt brinjal on rhizospheric bacterial community are considered minimal compared to the effects of seasonal changes on the rhizospheric bacterial community.
Read the abstract at http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00248-013-0287-z.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- A Decade of Research Says GM Crops are Safe, Yet Debate Remains Intense
- Global Scientific Community Stands Up for Golden Rice
- Public Should be Made Aware of GM Application and Benefits, says Kenyan Governor
- Field Trials of Biotech Cowpea Begin in Ghana
- AGRA Unveils a Report on Status of Agriculture in Africa
- Climate Change and Abiotic Stress Workshop Held in Egypt
- Biologists Reveal Role of a Protein in Crop Traits Modification
- Grocery Manufacturers Association Launches Website on GM Food
- USDA Requests for Public Input on Agricultural Coexistence
- Biochemists Crack Nitrogen Fixation Code
- NAST Philippines' Statement on the Golden Rice Multiloc Trial Destruction
- US and Pakistan Partners in Disease Resistant Wheat Project
- Scientists Discover Mechanism Regulating Direction of Plant Cell Growth
- New Charity to Develop Under-Utilized Crops to Tackle Global Food Security
- Scientists Study Effects of Bt Brinjal on Rhizospheric Bacterial Community Structure
- Binding Characterization of Cry Proteins to the Brush Border Membrane Vesicles of Insect Pests
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Explain the Genetics of Smell
- Study Reveals Key Genes of Sandalwood
- IHC 2014 - ISHS/ProMusa Symposium
- 5th International Conference on Food Engineering and Biotechnology
- UNCTAD Trade and Environment Review 2013
- Biotech Trait Annual Updates
Subscribe to CBU: