Global Initiative to Strengthen Sustainable AgricultureAugust 14, 2013
Reaffirming the critical importance of sustainable agriculture, an alliance of 16 global agriculture and conservation leaders came together in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in July 2013 to launch a new initiative aimed at bridging the agriculture and conservation agendas. The program will be conducted through expanding the dialogue, building the scientific evidence base, and charting a clear path for collaboration in reaching the post-2015 sustainable development goals.
Bridging Agriculture and Conservation Initiative led by Bioversity International aims to build and leverage existing science to underpin critical progress based on evidence of practical and synergistic approaches that work at all levels.
Accordingly, 16 global leaders drafted a declaration agreeing on the need for a new agricultural development paradigm that addresses society's current and future needs for more sustainable, socially equitable, resilient, nutritious and adaptable, as well as more productive food and farming systems.
Fore more information, visit http://www.cbd.int/doc/press/2013/pr-2013-08-13-agriculture-en.pdf.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Discover Protein that Helps Plants Tolerate Drought, Flooding, and Other Stresses
- Global Initiative to Strengthen Sustainable Agriculture
- Mark Lynas Urges African Farmers to Plant Biotech Crops
- USDA Expert: GMOs Can Help Kenya Alleviate Hunger
- Second National Biosafety Conference Held in Kenya
- Researchers Discover How Plants Avoid Sunburn
- Peru to Receive Agricultural Research Support from South Korea
- Texas A&M University Forms Bioinformatics, Genomics Systems Engineering Center
- Donald Danforth Plant Science Center Announces Major Expansion
- Saudi Arabia and Australia to Deliver Salt Tolerant Crops
- IRRI, PhilRice Officials Visit Vandalized Golden Rice Field Trial
- ICAR, Bioversity Int'l Partner to Improve Agricultural Sustainability in India
- Survey Indicates Change of Public Opinion in Germany Towards Agri Biotech
- Heat Stress Study Could Protect Potato Yields
- Research Reveals How Hormones Promote Plant Growth
- GM Rice Delivers Antibodies Against Deadly Rotavirus
- Cry1Ie Confers Resistance to Corn Earworm in Maize
- IPO Course on Biosafety in Plant Biotech
- Biotech Crop Annual Updates
- FURARN Develops Software Tool to Identify Hazards
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: