Philippine FDA Reassures Public About Safety of GM CropsJune 26, 2013
The Philippine Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an advisory regarding the safety of genetically modified foods in the country. FDA reiterated that all GM food products available in the market have passed food safety assessment based on the UN FAO/WHO CODEX Alimentarus Risk Analysis of Food Derived from Modern Biotechnology and Guidelines for the Conduct of Food Safety Assessment of Foods Derived from Recombinant-DNA Plants. The advisory stressed that all GM food products in the market have met international food safety standards and are as safe as food from conventional crops.
FDA also stated that there are different GM crops that are currently under testing. These GM crops are being assessed on case-by-case basis, following the CODEX Alimentarius guidelines for determining their safety, including toxicity, allergenicity and nutritional quality, or assessment of any nutritional claim. FDA stressed their support for robust science-based evaluation system of CODEX Alimentarium Commission using data and information from field trials and laboratory tests.
Read the advisory at http://www.fda.gov.ph/advisories/food/79847-fda-advisory-no-2013-014.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Current Yield Trends are not Catching Up with Population Growth
- CGIAR Presents its Research Programs to Donors, External Stakeholders
- Research Project Aims to Double Rice Production in Africa
- Collaborative Research to Increase the Productivity of Yam in Africa
- Brazil's CTNBio Approves New GM Maize
- Scientists Look Closer on Evolution of Plant's Self-fertilization
- Carnegie Institution for Science Releases Genome-Wide Metabolic Complements of Several Cereals
- The Truth About the Precautionary Principle
- Rice Blast Research Reveals How Fungus Invades Plants
- Vietnam Approved Circular to Grant Biosafety Certificate for GMO
- Philippine FDA Reassures Public About Safety of GM Crops
- Farmer Speaks Up about the Stopping of Bt Eggplant Trials
- Owen Patterson: GM Crops Safer than Conventional Crops
- PG Economics: Ukraine Will Benefit from Crop Biotech
- Consumers' Evaluation of Biotechnology in Food Products
- Scientists Track More Detailed Process of Plant's Development
- Scientists Test Gene Flow Potential of GM Camelina to Related Species
Beyond Crop Biotech
- ARS Scientists Develop New Genetic Test for OPP
- Scientists Engineer Silkworms to Produce Glowing Silk Fabric
- 10th Training Course of ICRISAT's Center of Excellence in Genomics
- Leading the Charge Against Herbicide Resistance
Subscribe to CBU: