Cornell Alliance for Science Calls for Comments for Golden Rice in PHJuly 18, 2018
The Cornell Alliance for Science calls for supportive written comments and testimony for the field trial of Golden Rice in the Philippines. The public consultations are scheduled on July 18 and 19 in Nueva Ecija and Isabela provinces, respectively.
Golden Rice is a beta-carotene enriched rice developed through genetic engineering to address vitamin A deficiency, a serious health problem faced by millions of children and pregnant women all over the world. This new type of rice is currently understudy by International Rice Research Institute and Philippine Rice Research Institute. The proposal for field trial requires public consultations. The Alliance is seeking the support of those who understand the value of this new product to speak up to ensure that the research about Golden Rice continues to field trials.
Golden Rice has been proven to be safe by leading regulatory agencies, namely the US Food and Drug Administration, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, and Health Canada.
Comments are particularly welcomed from areas where the trials will be held—Brgy. Maligaya and and Brgy. Malasin, as well as nearby localities. Written comments and statements of support can be sent to Mr. George Y. Culaste, OIC-Director, Bureau of Plant Industry, San Andres, Malate, Manila. His telephone number is 02-404-0409 and his email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the original post from Cornell Alliance for Science.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Experts Tackle Importance of GM Crops Commercialization in Beijing
- African Scientists Challenged to Invest in Developing Communication Skills
- International Research Team Discovers Genetic Mechanism that Allows Rice to Survive Flooding
- Farm Babe Debunks Myths about GMOs
- Japanese Researchers Assemble First Accurate Buckwheat Genome
- Cornell Alliance for Science Calls for Comments for Golden Rice in PH
- Vietnamese Farmers Share Experiences in GM Maize Planting
- Socio-economic Aspect of GM Crops Highlighted in Symposium
- Australian OGTR Issues License for GM Wheat Field Trials
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on Four-Event Stack Maize Bt11 × MIR162 × 1507 × GA21
- Sugarcane Genome Has Finally Been Sequenced
- ZmNBS25 from Maize Functions as a Disease Resistance Gene Across Species
- Upregulation of Lipid Biosynthesis Increases the Oil Content in Sorghum
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Researchers Find Soybean Genes for Alkaline Stress Resistance
- FaTM6 Controls Flower Development in Strawberry
- OsIPMS1 Gene Involved in Seed Vigor and Energy Metabolism in Rice
- Chinese Scientists Develop Improved CRISPR System
From the BICs
- "Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" Book Now Available in Telugu
- CRISPR Can Speed up Nature and Change How We Grow Food
Subscribe to CBU: