ISAAA Brief 49 Launched in Hanoi, VietnamFebruary 11, 2015
The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam Academy of Agricultural Sciences in cooperation with ISAAA, held a conference on February 3 in Hanoi on the Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops: 2014 (ISAAA Brief 49). Dr. Clive James, author of the report and Founder and Emeritus Chair of ISAAA presented the highlights of the ISAAA Brief 49, showing that in 2014, 181.5 million hectares of biotech crops were planted by 18 million farmers in 28 countries. It was also reported that Bangladesh is the latest country that adopted a biotech crop, particularly Bt eggplant (Bt brinjal).
Dr. Randy Hautea, Global Coordinator of ISAAA discussed the application and benefits of biotech corn in the Philippines, while Dr. Mahaletchumy Arujanan, Executive Director of Malaysian Biotechnology Information Centre (MABIC) highlighted the role of the media in providing correct and objective information about biotech crops against the misconception of this technology.
Distinguished heads of ministries graced the occasion including Dr. Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy- General Director of Department of Science and Technology of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development; Prof. Dr. Trinh Khac Quang, Director of the Vietnam Academy of Agricultural Sciences and participated by more than 100 regulators and scientists from science, environment and agriculture ministries, members of the academe and research institutes, representatives of businesses, associations and media agencies. Discussions on the Q and A revolved around management of biotech seeds after commercialization and effective methods of communication on biotech crops to the public.
For details of the program, contact Hien Le of Agbiotech VN at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Public and Scientists' Views on Science
- Cotton Farmers in Kenya Submit Petition to Lift GM Import Ban
- Reprogramming Plants for Drought Tolerance
- Improving Sorghum's Yield
- Australia May Soon Import GM Carnation
- ISAAA Brief 49 Launched in Hanoi, Vietnam
- China to Enhance Public Awareness of GM Technology
- Scientists Find Mechanism for Master Switch of Plant Growth
- Scientists to Control Leaf Blotch Disease in Wheat
- Overexpression of MlNAC5 Enhances Drought and Cold Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Proteins from Trichoderma Vital in Inducing Maize Resistance to Leaf Blight
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Draft Genetic Code of Dog Roundworm
From the BICs
- Pakistan-China MOU to Develop Agriculture Sector, Biotechnology
- The Plant Genomics Congress USA
- Updated Pocket K on Ethics and Agbiotech
Subscribe to CBU: