Gene Editing Technology to Fight Corn DiseaseMarch 22, 2023
Corteva Agriscience announced on March 10, 2023, that their game-changing gene editing technology that will give additional protection to elite corn hybrids has advanced through their R&D pipeline. The proprietary technology has multiple disease-resistant native traits packaged into a single location in the gene to better address the most devastating North American corn diseases.
In 2021, Northern leaf blight, Southern rust, gray leaf spot, and anthracnose stalk rot combined to cost North American corn growers more than 318 million bushels in production. The technology will use gene editing to combine and reposition disease resistant traits that are already within the corn genome. Additionally, the technology could result in healthier plants and further increase yield potential.
“This transformational technology represents the next generation of plant breeding innovation,” said Sam Eathington, Chief Technology and Chief Digital Officer of Corteva Agriscience.
For more details, read the news release in Corteva Agriscience Media Center.
You might also like:
- Belgium Grants Permits for New Field Trials of 3 Genome-Edited Maize
- VIB Conducts Three Field Trials of Genome-Edited Maize
- Gene Editing Technology Used to Modify Traits in Corn
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
Gene Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
Research and Tools
- Startup Develops Better-tasting Yellow Peas Using CRISPR
- Gene Editing Technology to Fight Corn Disease
- Growing Crops on Mars Possible With Gene Editing
- Improved Editing through CRISPR-targeted Transposable Element Insertion
- Scientists Disable Protective Gene In Mosquitoes Using CRISPR-Cas9
- Gene Knockout Produces “Gentle” Mackerel
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (June 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: