ICAC Names Cotton Researchers of the YearMay 4, 2012
The International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC) has named two winners for the 2012 Cotton Researcher of the Year Award. Dr. Andrew Patterson from the USA and Dr. Yusuf Zafar from Pakistan are the 2012 awardees.
Dr. Patterson heads the University of Georgia's Plant Genome Mapping Laboratory (PGML), using genomics to do research on crop improvement, plant biodiversity and molecular evolution. Dr. Zafar is the Chief Scientist and Director General of the Agri and Biotechnology Division of Pakistan's Atomic Energy Commission. Both scientists have extensively published scientific papers in national and international journals.
The award is given yearly since 2009 to help increase awareness of the importance of research to the cotton industry, and is eligible only to researchers from ICAC member countries. A selection committee is comprised of five anonymous judges outside the ICAC Secretariat.
For more details about ICAC and the awards, visit http://icac.org/technical-information/researcher-of-the-year/.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Seychelles Ratifies Nagoya Protocol on Genetic Resources
- Rice Research in Africa Provides a Strong Case for Investment
- OFAB Marks 5th Year, Seeks to Expand Activities
- Biotech Day at Cairo University
- Agri-biotech Can Alleviate Food Security - ASARECA
- Considerations in Gender-Responsive Priorities for Effective Agri-biotech Dev't in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Sunflower Gene to Increase Soybean Yields
- Study: Modern Hybrid Corn Uses Nitrogen More Efficiently
- Texas AgriLife Study to Identify Wheat's Drought Tolerance Mechanisms
- AFBF Promotes Support of New Herbicide-Tolerant Corn
- Corn Rootworm Monitoring Tool for 2012
- FuturaGene Finalizes Brazilian Field Trial for Yield Enhanced Eucalyptus Plantations
- DNA Barcoding Insect Pests Could Facilitate Their Control
- ICAC Names Cotton Researchers of the Year
- NCGA Supports IRM Refuge
- Monsanto Introduces Improved Lettuce Variety
- Ministry Wants Hi-tech Agriculture Zones
- Chinese Patent for Key Nitrogen Use Efficiency Technology
- Australian OGTR Issues License for Limited and Controlled Release of GM Cotton
- Report Says Turkey's Biosafety Law Causing Significant Economic Harm to Agri-food Chain
- IFPRI Paper on Contribution of Bt Cotton to Long-Term Average Cotton Yields in India
- Philippine Science Academy Hopes Supreme Court Will Side on Science of Bt Eggplant
- Program of Complex Development of Biotechnology in Russia 2012-2020 Signed
- Bxb1 Recombinase Mediates Site-Specific Deletion in GM Wheat
- Evaluation of Pyramided Bt Corn for Sugarcane Borer Management
- Spiders Not Affected by GM Maize MON 88017
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Make STR Identification Fit for 21st Century
- Scripps Scientists Solve Mystery of Bacterial Growth and Resistance
- Genes Explain Smell Preference for Meat
- Complete Genome Sequence of Oceanimonas sp. GH1
Subscribe to CBU: