Bill to Accelerate Biotech Approvals in U.S.June 3, 2011
Representative Stephen Fincher, a congressman from Tennessee, USA, introduced a legislation to speed up the process of approval for biotech crops. Fincher, who is also a farmer, called the bill as 'Expediting Agriculture Through Science (EATS) Act'. The legislation would allow Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to have 180 days "to approve or deny a petition for non-regulated status, with an additional 60 days if needed to ensure the safety of the environment and compliance is met before deeming the petition approved."
Fincher emphasized the need for a more efficient approval process to keep the U.S. farmers leaders in biotech crop production.
The original news is available at http://brownfieldagnews.com/2011/05/31/bill-would-accelerate-biotech-approvals/.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Renewed Investments and Enabling Policies for Poverty Reduction
- Impacts of GE Crops on Biodiversity
- Oxfam: Avert Global Food Crisis
- Nigeria Passes Biosafety Bill
- African Researchers and Farmers Begin Effort to Reduce Crop Loss from Striga
- SACAU Adopts GMO Policy Framework
- Plant Breeders to Use Genomic Selection to Improve Crops in Developing Countries
- Researchers Discover Key for Identifying Gender in Date Palm Trees
- Climate Change Allows Invasive Weed to Outcompete Local Species
- Bioengineers Design Faster and Less Expensive Chip Producing DNA
- Bill to Accelerate Biotech Approvals in U.S.
- Hard White Winter Wheat Registered for Planting in Ontario, Canada
- Australian Farmers Part of the Global Food Security Solution
- FSANZ Response to Study Linking Cry1Ab Protein in Blood to GM Foods
- FSANZ Calls for Comment on Horticulture Paper
- Managing Biotechnologies for Resource Poor Farmers
- Species Extinction in Plants
- Roadblock to Nutrient Selection and Harmful Microorganisms in Plant Roots
- Europe Should Change Agricultural Policies, Says IIED
- Scientists Track the Fate of Cry1Ab protein in Agricultural Chain
- Insect Resistance Transgenes Reduce Herbivory and Enhance Fecundity in Rice
- Resistance to Recombinant Stem Rust Race TPPKC in Wheat
Beyond Crop Biotech
- How Can Research on Plants Contribute to Promoting Human Health
- Blueberry Effects on Cholesterol Examined in Lab Animal Study
- Bioengineered Blood Vessels Are State-of-the-Artery
- CIALCA International Conference in Rwanda
- Biotech World Congress in Dubai
- ISAAA Now on Facebook and Twitter
- Updated Pocket Ks on Insect Resistance and Herbicide Tolerance Technologies
- Growing Better Rice for a Hungry World
- Economics of GM Crop Cultivation
Subscribe to CBU: