Biotech Info Centers Highlight Knowledge Sharing InitiativesMarch 28, 2008
The crucial role of communication among stakeholders to encourage a transparent and science-based debate on crop biotechnology was again highlighted during the annual network meeting of the Biotechnology Information Centers (BICs) of the International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications (ISAAA). Representatives of the BICs in Asia (Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam), Africa (Egypt and Kenya), and Europe (Spain) converged in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia to share communication strategies from interpersonal to tri-media approaches that were used to increase awareness and understanding of biotechnology in their respective countries.
Eighteen BICs are now part of the network and are sharing information, resources, expertise, and experiences to the global community. Other members include Sri Lanka, Bulgaria, Russia, South Africa, Francophone Africa, and Brazil. The BICs are actively involved in translating and disseminating crop biotech information to various stakeholders, conduct workshops, and perform other knowledge sharing initiatives.
For more information on the Global Knowledge Center on Crop Biotechnology and the BIC network visit http://www.isaaa.org/kc.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Collaborate to Combat UG99
- Biotech Info Centers Highlight Knowledge Sharing Initiatives
- Drought-tolerant Maize for Small-Scale African Farmers
- Soybean Varieties Resistant to the Root-Knot Nematode
- US Patent Obtained for Increase in Aroma Compound in Thai Rice
- Waste Products Good for Food Packaging
- Thailand Encourages Biotechnology Investors
- Improving GMO Regulation in Indonesia
- Bioscience Entrepreneurship
- Origin Agritech Updates its GM Corn Pipeline
- ICRISAT Launches Genomics and Bio-Food Knowledge Centers
- GM Notifications in Europe
- Transgenic Tomatoes Resistant to Cutworm
- Assessing the Impacts of Insecticidal Proteins to the Green Lacewing
- Scientists Sequence Pest Beetle Genome
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 22, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 15, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: