Stem Cell–Derived Cells Enhance the Glucose Control of Patients With Type 1 DiabetesDecember 7, 2023
Scientists boost the glucose control of patients with type 1 diabetes by implanting encapsulated stem cell-derived cells. The procedure will minimize insulin intake and benefit the health of many patients.
Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is a chronic disease that stops the pancreas from creating insulin. Patients with this condition would need a regular dose of insulin to prevent other health complications. A potential alternative to insulin is β cell replacement, which was used by scientists in this first-in-human trial of T1D patients.
Researchers conducted clinical studies to identify the effects of device-delivered stem cell–derived cells on the glucose of the T1D patients. After implanting the retrievable device, the patients developed a β cell mass with sufficient function to enhance glucose control. Their findings also indicate procedures for increasing the device's efficacy. The procedure may also eliminate the need for insulin dosage for over 50% of patients for more than 5 years.
For more information, read the journal article on Nature Biotechnology.
You might also like:
- Plant-based, Oral Insulin Regulates Blood Sugar Levels Similar to Natural Insulin
- Invasive Weed Extract Could Help Treat Cancer and Type 2 Diabetes
- Plant Viruses Found to Potentially Treat Diabetes, Arthritis
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Two Ancestors Led Maize to Success
- Knockout of Sugar Transporter OsSTP15 Improves Grain Yield in Rice
- Australian OGTR Receives Application for Field Trial of GM Wheat and Barley
- Genes From Wheat Improves Plant Growth of Sorghum
- FAO Champions Agrifood Systems as Key to Climate Solutions, Releases Report on Loss and Damage
- Market Watchers Project Bumper Harvests with GM Maize and Soybeans Approvals in China
- Stem Cell–Derived Cells Enhance the Glucose Control of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- ISAAA Inc. Awards Winners of BioteKomiks Contest
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: