CRISPR Reveals Relation Between Genome Organization and AutismOctober 11, 2023
Researchers from various institutions used CRISPR to identify the connection between the mutations of certain genes and autism. Their findings may be used for future research and therapeutic interventions.
Autism is a heritable disorder that affects about 1 in 40 children in the USA. Previous studies revealed many genes that are related to autism, but it is difficult to analyze how mutations in specific genes affect brain activity and function. To find a solution to this issue, a team of researchers used CRISPR to produce a mutation in the CHD8 gene. This gene regulates the chromatin that surrounds the DNA.
Their results showed that the CHD8 mutation altered other genes that are implicated in intellectual disability or autism, but not the genes related to other types of disorders. This suggests that CHD8 may selectively affect the genes that are frequently involved in neurodevelopmental disorders, which explains some of the clinical traits present in people who have the CHD8 mutation.
Read the news article of New York University for more information.
You might also like:
- Gene Editing Reduces Anxiety-Related Behavior in Mice
- Geneticists Identify Genes Associated with Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Gene Mutation Protects Against Alzheimer's Disease
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Researchers Uncover Single Enzyme Boosts Soybean Oil Production
- ERS Releases Latest Trends in GM Crop Adoption in the US
- Grasses Transfer Genes from their Neighbors in Same Way GM Crops Are Made
- Chinese Farmers Harvest Giant Rice Resistant to Pests and Flooding
- GM Lettuce and Mizuna Show Antibacterial Activity Against E. Coli
- Researchers Review Milk Bioactive Production Using Cellular Agriculture
- DNA Nanodevice to Map Potassium and Sodium in Cell Organelles
- CRISPR Reveals Relation Between Genome Organization and Autism
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: