Bayer Biotech Corn Launched in Indonesia; To Boost Yield by 30%August 2, 2023
Andi M. Saleh, Coordinator of the Assessment and Variety Dissemination Subgroup of the Seed Directorate of the Directorate General of Food Crops of the Ministry of Agriculture said that the government encourages the development of new varieties both through hybrid technology and biotechnology. "Seeds are the main component that significantly contributes dominantly to increasing plant production and productivity," said Saleh.
Bayer Crop Science Country Cluster Head for Southeast Asia and Pakistan Stacy Markovich said the results of the trial they conducted in five provinces during the previous season showed that farmers who use DK95R have the potential to increase their yields by up to 30 percent compared to conventional practices. "This increase in income was obtained from a combination of higher yields and reduced input costs," she said.
Present during the launch were farmers and officials from Bayer Crop Science and the government, including Markovich and Saleh and Head of Food Crop Department of NTB Agriculture and Plantation Office, Mirza Amir Hamzah; Chairman of the Permanent Committee for the Development of the Food Industry of the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Hermanto Siregar; and Regent of Dompu Kader Jaelani.
For more details, read the article in Kompas (sign-up needed).
You might also like:
- Indonesian Farmers are Ready to Adopt Biotech Corn
- Economic Potential of GM Corn in Indonesia
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends: Indonesia
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- CRISPR Alters Onion for the First Time
- Yield10 Bioscience Files Request for Regulatory Status Review of Omega-3 Camelina
- Bayer Biotech Corn Launched in Indonesia; To Boost Yield by 30%
- ISAAA Inc. to Hold ASCA6 on September 11-15 in Indonesia
- Scientists Induce “Virgin Birth” on Fruit Flies
- Biotech Company To Launch Near Zero Sugar Juice
- APEC Economies Tackle Regulatory and Policy Solutions for Agri-biotech
- Scientists Discover a Protein’s Step-By-Step Activation Process
- Researchers Develop In Vivo Gene Editing Model to Treat Blood Disorders
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 22, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 15, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: