Science Communication Expert Hailed as One of the Filipino Faces of BiotechnologyDecember 7, 2022
The Philippine Agriculture and Fisheries Biotechnology Program (DA Biotech Program) awarded six individuals as the Filipino Faces of Biotechnology. The awarding was held in Quezon City on December 1, 2022.
One of this year's awardees is Dr. Mariechel J. Navarro, former Director of ISAAA Global Knowledge Center on Crop Biotechnology (KC). She was recognized for her outstanding advocacy for biotech and expertise in science communication. She has been with the KC since its inception in September 2000. Her internship at the Centre for Agriculture and Bioscience International in the UK on managing a biotechnology information system led to the development of the weekly e-newsletter Crop Biotech Update. Her most sought-after publications include the following: Communicating Challenges and Convergence in Crop Biotechnology, From Monologue to Stakeholder Engagement: The Evolution of Biotech Communication, Communicating Crop Biotechnology: Stories from Stakeholders, and Bridging the Knowledge Divide: Experiences in Communicating Crop Biotechnology. She has a Ph.D. in Development Communication from the University of the Philippines Los Baños, and received training in communication and biotech from the UK, USA, Austria, and Australia.
The other awardees include Dr. Violeta N. Villegas, Dr. Lourdes D. Taylo, Dr. Leny C. Galvez, Dr. Camila Flor Y. Lobarbio, and Dr. Fortunato de la Peña.
Read more from Business Mirror.
You might also like:
- PH Highlights Role of Biotech in National Development
- Pocket K No. 33: Communicating Crop Biotechnology
- Convergence in ScienceCommunication: The Tipping Point
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Leaders Tackle Conservation at UN Biodiversity Conference
- ARS Introduces Improved Winter Peas for Food Use
- CIMMYT Study Says Breeding New Crops Must Adapt to Climate Change
- Researchers Identify Genes to Help Fruit Adapt to Droughts
- Australia's Gene Regulator OGTR Invites Comments on Field Trial of GM Perennial Ryegrass
- Science Communication Expert Hailed as One of the Filipino Faces of Biotechnology
- New Method Produces GM Measles Virus Using Only Two Components
- Climate Resilience Linked to Lignin Chemistry in Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: