ISAAA Releases Statements on Biotech at the UN Biodiversity Conference in EgyptNovember 21, 2018
The two-week 2018 United Nations Biodiversity Conference commenced on November 17, 2018, in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, with an opening address from President of Egypt, H.E. Abdel Fattah Saeed Hussein Khalil el-Sisi.
"The theme of our conference Investing in Biodiversity for People and Planet reflects our collective vision of the necessity to integrate biodiversity conservation into all walks of life. This shall contribute to preserving the natural resources and managing them in a sustainable way," President Abdel Fattah El Sisi said.
During the conference, the delegates from the 196 Parties of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) are expected to renew their commitment to achieving global biodiversity targets by 2020 and set a roadmap for negotiations on the post-2020 biodiversity framework.
ISAAA and its network of Biotechnology Information Centers (BIC) are actively participating in the conference events. ISAAA has released statements related to biotechnology, particularly in socio-economic considerations, capacity building, Biosafety Clearing House, and assessment and review of the effectiveness of the Protocol.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Releases Statements on Biotech at the UN Biodiversity Conference in Egypt
- Canadian Seed Trade Association Praises International Statement Supporting Plant Breeding Innovation
- Agriculture and Science Groups Voice Support for International Statement on Plant Breeding Innovation
- Genetically Engineered Corn May Help Offset Effects of Climate Change
- GM Crop Imports to China Could Increase Brazil's Soy Exports
- DIY Crop Speed Breeding to Boost Drought Research
- SEARCA BIC Joins the Celebration of the 14th National Biotechnology Week
- Researchers Discover Novel Switch in Plants Controlling Division and Differentiation
- Several Implications of EU Gene Editing Policy Especially on Coeliac Disease
- EC Chief Scientific Advisors Call for Update of GM Legislation
- Gene Regulates Heat Stress Response in Pepper
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genomes of Famous Truffles Reveal Secret of their Perfumes
- Guide to Plant Breeders' Rights in Canada
- ISAAA Biotech/GM Crops Image Gallery
- CRISPR-Cas9 Reveals Cotton Bollworm Gene Involved in Insecticide Resistance
- Researchers Apply Gene Editing in Chinese Kale
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Confer Virus Resistance in Plants
- Scientist Uses CRISPR-Cas9 to Explore Functions of Auxin
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: