Filipino Farmer-leaders Show Support for Biotech CropsAugust 22, 2018
Filipino farmer-leaders from Mindanao expressed their support for biotech crops, stating that they are waiting for the release of biotech crops in the market. A total of 28 farmer-leaders from six regions in Mindanao signed the Declaration of Support for the Application of Biotechnology in Agriculture after attending a seminar on biotechnology organized by the Asian Farmers Regional Network (Asfarnet) Philippines and the Department of Agriculture Biotech Program Office in Camiguin Island.
During the seminar, the farmer-leaders were equipped with knowledge on traditional and modern applications of biotechnology. Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) scientist and Golden Rice project leader, Dr. Rey Ordonio, discussed the latest information on the research and development of Golden Rice. According to Dr. Ordonio, the GM crop was developed by experts to help address the vitamin A deficiency problem. He reported that Golden Rice contains a significant amount of beta carotene (vitamin A precursor) and provides 30 percent to 50 percent of the estimated average requirement for vitamin A.
Read more from Business Mirror.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Release Fully Annotated Wheat Reference Genome
- Nigeria's Federal High Court Ruling Permits Bt Cotton Commercialization
- Researchers Use Wheat's Bacterial Partners to Fight A Pathogen
- Scientists Identify Enzyme that Could Accelerate Biofuel Production
- CSIRO Works on Next Generation Synthetic-Like Cotton
- Filipino Farmer-leaders Show Support for Biotech Crops
- Biotech Players Discuss Biodiversity Agreements and Protocols
- Scientists Determine the Genomic Predictability of 25 Agronomic and Quality Traits in Alfalfa
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Gene Editing Technique Used to Develop Spider Silk-producing Silkworm
- African Biosafety Leadership Summit Tackles Gene Drive Technology
- India Starts Research on GE Mosquitoes to Combat Dengue
From the BICs
- Short Course Exposes Asian Stakeholders to Agri-biotech Communication
- Crop Innovations and Regulations Conference
- EuropaBio Brochure Tackles EU Protein Gap, Trade, and GMOs
- Video: Saving the Orange
- Scientists Update on CRISPR Utility for Crop Improvement
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Knockout Genes for Pollen Tube Growth
- CRISPR-Cpf1 Used in Targeted Gene Replacement in Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: