Arctic® Fuji Apple Gets Canadian ApprovalJanuary 31, 2018
Arctic® Fuji, Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc.'s (OSF) third nonbrowning Arctic® apple variety has been approved by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Health Canada (HC).
The CFIA and HC have announced that the Arctic® Fuji variety "did not pose a greater risk to human health than apples currently available on the Canadian market. Health Canada also concluded that the Arctic® Fuji apple would have no impact on allergies, and that there are no differences in the nutritional value of the Arctic® Fuji apple compared to other traditional apple varieties available for consumption". Arctic® Fuji trees will be added to the growing commercial orchards of Arctic® Golden and Arctic® Granny apples in spring 2018.
For more details, read the OSF media release. To read Health Canada's approval of the Arctic® Fuji, visit the HC website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Hunger in Conflict Areas Continues to Escalate
- Namibia Launches First GM Detection Lab
- African Women Vow to Rally Behind Biotech
- Scientists Explain How A Protein Helps Plants "Muscle Up" Bacteria in the Cold
- Arctic® Fuji Apple Gets Canadian Approval
- Importance of IP and Its Application to Biotech Emphasized
- Gene Editing and Genomics Discussed at UP Los Baños Seminar
- "Wild" Genes Open Up Opportunities for Better Rice Varieties
- UZH Scientists Develop Wheat Lines Resistant to Powdery Mildew
- Researchers Identify Plum Pox Virus Susceptibility Genes in Apricot
- Walnut Gene Involved in Cadmium Stress Response
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Non-coding DNA Vital for Brain Development
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Buffalo Grass
- 10th World Potato Congress
- Researchers Perform Allele Exchange at EPSPS Locus in Cassava using CRISPR-Cas9
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: