NtTTG2 Gene Regulates Tobacco Growth and Seed Production via AUXIN RESPONSIVE FACTOR GenesJune 8, 2016
Plant TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA (TTG) proteins regulate various developmental activities through the auxin signaling pathway. Researchers from the Nanjing Agricultural University previously clarified how the tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) NtTTG2 gene works with 12 AUXIN RESPONSIVE FACTOR (ARF) genes, specifically NtARF8, NtARF17, and NtARF19. In this study, they aimed to show that NtTTG2 regulates tobacco growth and development by involving the three ARF genes.
Silencing of the NtARF8 gene, either independently or in combination, more strongly repressed tobacco growth compared to silencing either NtARF17 or NtARF19. NtARF8 silencing also effectively eradicated the growth enhancement effect of NtTTG2-overexpression. In contrast, plant growth was not affected by silencing the other nine NtTTG2-regulated NtARF genes.
NtTTG2 and NtARF8-overexpression also played a role in seed production quantity, since silencing both genes caused severe seed abortion. NtARF8 is an integral component of the NtTTG2 functional pathway, which regulates tobacco growth and development.
For more information, read the article in BMC Plant Biology.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Researchers Crack Genome that May Lead to Development of Allergen-free Peanuts
- Oxford University Scientists Discover Oldest Root Meristem
- Biologist Finds Way for New Approaches to Fight Plant Disease
- CropLife Reports 20 Years of GM Crop Benefits in Australia
- Plants Remember Previous Stress to Help Protect Themselves
- Silenced Susceptibility Genes in Potato Result in Late Blight Resistance
- Scientists Discover Protein which Boosts Rice Yield by 50 Percent
- Scientists Modify Bt Toxin to Improve Activation in Pea Aphid Gut
- Rol Genes Enhance Production of Antioxidants in Artemisia carvifolia
- NtTTG2 Gene Regulates Tobacco Growth and Seed Production via AUXIN RESPONSIVE FACTOR Genes
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genomes of Wild Parents Reveal Complex History of Garden Petunias
- Chemists and Biologists Make Bionic Leaf That Produces Alcohol Fuel
- University at Buffalo Researchers Develop Vaccine that Strikes Only When Needed
- Feeding the World in Future: Where Does GM Fit in?
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (June 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: