Vilsack Reveals Plan for BiofuelsMarch 12, 2014
U.S Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said during Commodity Classic, the annual meeting of corn, soybean, wheat, and sorghum growers in San Antonio, California, that his discussions with Environmental Protection Agency were not focused on the message that biodiesel and ethanol advocates are already pursuing: abandoning the proposal that would lessen the amount of biofuels mixed into U.S. fuel supply.
Vilsack said that the right way to go is marketing ethanol and biodiesel for export. He said that their team has planned to expand trade promotion on biofuels by including biofuels experts on a trip to potential importing countries such as China. He added that they can also address infrastructure issues to make sure that it is not a barrier to getting more biofuels into the system. He sees making sure biodiesel and ethanol are successful as matters of national security importance, environmental concern, and economic interest.
"Bottom line is: we're going to continue to help this industry as best we can, advocate for it, and trust that EPA at the end of the day makes the right set of decisions."
For more information, visit http://domesticfuel.com/2014/03/01/vilsack-focused-on-ways-to-help-biofuels/.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Governments Prepare for Implementation of Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing
- International Team Crack Sesame Genome
- Researchers Discover Plant Without Chloroplasts
- Scientists Develop Biofortified Sorghum for Africa
- Entomologists Update Definitions of Terms Related to Resistance to Biotech crops and Pesticides
- Scientists Identify Gene that May Ease Genetic Modification in Plants
- Vilsack Reveals Plan for Biofuels
- Bt Brinjal Cultivation in Bangladesh Follows Biosafety Measures, Says Ag Minister
- Asian Biotech Crop Importing Countries Hold Seminars on Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops for 2013
- Vietnam, Slow and Cautious on GM Crop Adoption
- Philippines Increases Biotech Adoption in 2013
- NAAS Endorses GM Crops for Nutritional Security
- Pakistan Finalizes Strategy to Make Quality Cotton Seed Available
- India's Biotechnology Strategy Highlights Importance of GM Crops
- New Study Shows OPR Protein Function Important for Photosynthesis
- EU Innovation Scoreboard Shows Need for Action to Keep Innovation and Industry in Europe
- Predators Delay Pest Resistance to Bt Crops
- Biotech Rice Expressing Exo-glucanase Show Enhanced Production of Reducing Sugars
- Livestock Biotech Summit
- VIB Publishes New GM Background Report
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: