Entomologists Update Definitions of Terms Related to Resistance to Biotech crops and PesticidesMarch 12, 2014
Entomologists from University of Arizona and Michigan State University addressed the current jumble of words relating to pest resistance by coming up with updated definitions for 50 key terms. They published these definitions in the Journal of Economic Entomology.
The authors selected definitions that promote proactive detection and management of resistance, such as resistance defined as "a genetically based decrease in susceptibility to a pesticide." They contrast this with an alternative definition used by some industry scientists that requires "repeated failure of a product to achieve the expected level of control," which generally occurs only after it's too late to respond most effectively.
Confusion in definition is usually associated in defining and managing insect resistance to Bt crops. Bt proteins are not exclusive to genetically engineered crops. Organic growers have used Bt protein in sprays for decades, even before Bt crops became commercially available in 1996.
Read more at http://esa.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/esa/jee/pre-prints/content-EC13458 and
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Governments Prepare for Implementation of Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing
- International Team Crack Sesame Genome
- Researchers Discover Plant Without Chloroplasts
- Scientists Develop Biofortified Sorghum for Africa
- Entomologists Update Definitions of Terms Related to Resistance to Biotech crops and Pesticides
- Scientists Identify Gene that May Ease Genetic Modification in Plants
- Vilsack Reveals Plan for Biofuels
- Bt Brinjal Cultivation in Bangladesh Follows Biosafety Measures, Says Ag Minister
- Asian Biotech Crop Importing Countries Hold Seminars on Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops for 2013
- Vietnam, Slow and Cautious on GM Crop Adoption
- Philippines Increases Biotech Adoption in 2013
- NAAS Endorses GM Crops for Nutritional Security
- Pakistan Finalizes Strategy to Make Quality Cotton Seed Available
- India's Biotechnology Strategy Highlights Importance of GM Crops
- New Study Shows OPR Protein Function Important for Photosynthesis
- EU Innovation Scoreboard Shows Need for Action to Keep Innovation and Industry in Europe
- Predators Delay Pest Resistance to Bt Crops
- Biotech Rice Expressing Exo-glucanase Show Enhanced Production of Reducing Sugars
- Livestock Biotech Summit
- VIB Publishes New GM Background Report
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 17, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: