Roger Beachy: "I Got into Biotech Because I Wanted to Reduce the Use of Pesticides"July 10, 2013
Roger Beachy, founding president of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center and the current Executive Director and CEO of the Global Institute for Food Security said in a recent interview that the reason he got into biotech in the early 1980s was because he wanted to reduce the use of chemical pesticides in food production. He said that like many people, he also wants to know where his food comes from.
Talking to Food Navigator-USA, Beachy said "I wanted to see if we could develop disease resistance by using genetics rather than agrichemicals," adding that it is more sustainable and will result in a cleaner environment. In the interview, the former chief scientist of the US Department of Agriculture also discussed other issues including GMO labeling, the overuse and misuse of GM technology, and food safety concerns. On the latter, he said "some of the statements you see from anti-GMO campaigners, they just have no basis in fact, it's remarkable, they are just flat out lies."
Read the transcript of the interview available at http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/People/GMO-pioneer-I-got-into-biotech-because-I-wanted-to-reduce-the-use-of-chemical-pesticides.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- 2013 Global Food Security Index Shows Resilience in the Face of Challenges
- Scientists Compare Genomes of Wild and Domestic Tomato
- Africabio CEO Says GM Foods in South Africa is Safe
- International Leaders Attend High Level Meeting for Africa's Sustainable Agriculture
- Gates Foundation to Build Biotech Lab in Nigeria
- Geneticist Urges Mining the World's Seed Banks to Feed Tomorrow's Population
- Roger Beachy: "I Got into Biotech Because I Wanted to Reduce the Use of Pesticides"
- ICRISAT Releases Iron-biofortified Pearl Millet
- Bosan: GM Crops Answer to Food Insecurity
- APEC Seeks to Widen Use of Agri-biotech for Food Security
- Lee Foundation Funds Breeding of New Rice Scientists
- Scientists to Develop Drought Tolerant Potatoes for Central Asia
- New Study Provides Insights for Further Understanding of Plant's Metabolic Control
- Scientists Discover Gene Controlling Multi-Herbicide Resistance
- UK to Build World's First 'Library' of Potato Mutants
- Researchers Identify Fungus' Mechanism to Hinder Plant Defense
- Sustainable Intensification to Help Increase Food Production
- Scientists Conduct Multigene Engineering to Improve Maize Starch
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Discover Second Molecular Door for Insecticide in Mosquitoes
- REDBIO Argentina 2013
Subscribe to CBU: