PH President Confers Order of National Scientist to Biotech ChampJanuary 8, 2020
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte formally presented the rank and title of Order of National Scientist to Dr. Emil Q. Javier, former Minister of Science and Technology and an advocate of agricultural modernization, during a ceremony held at Malacañang Palace on January 7, 2020.
In August 2019, the president released Proclamation 781 which recognizes Dr. Javier's outstanding work in the field of agriculture and his contributions to the progress of science and technology in the Philippines and the world. It also highlighted Dr. Javier's commitment to addressing the needs of the poor through modern science, as well as the active role he is playing in informing the public about how science can be used to improve access to food and health, and in ensuring high safety standards in research and production of biotechnological innovations.
In his speech, Dr. Javier shared his great joy for the honor but said that it is mixed with pain and embarrassment of not having done enough. He said, "Mr. President, the joy is diminished by the painful reality that our farmers and fisherfolk remain impoverished and food insecure." However, he also said that the government's current initiatives for the agricultural sector is giving hope that change is indeed coming, and that agriculture will finally receive the attention it deserves.
In the end, Dr. Javier called for tough political decisions and more unified action for agriculture. "We have the technology and expertise to move agriculture forward. We can do much better if only we can put our act together." he said.
Dr. Javier is currently the Chair of the Coalition for Agriculture Modernization in the Philippines (CAMP) and is an advocate of using modern biotechnology for the benefit of society. Together with SEARCA Biotechnology Information Center, he authored a policy brief on the broad scientific consensus on safety of GMO technology and benefits of the CRISPR-Cas9 system.
For more details about biotechnology developments in the Philippines, visit the SEARCA BIC website.
You might also like:
- SEARCA BIC Policy Brief Highlights Global Scientific Consensus on the Safety of GMO Technology
- Scientist Expounds on Process and Benefits of CRISPR-Cas9 System in SEARCA BIC Policy Brief
- Philippine Academician Highlights Positive Consequences of the SC Ruling
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Vitamin A-Enriched Rice Approval in PH Gets Support from Golden Rice Humanitarian Board
- Technology to Accelerate Search for Drought Tolerant Chickpeas
- PH Solon Lauds Approval of Golden Rice, Endorses Passage of Nat'l Biotech Law
- Punjab Seed Council Approves New Bt Cotton Variety
- China Announces Plan to Issue Biosafety Certificates for GM Soybean and Corn
- South Australia Lifts Ban on GM Crops
- PH President Confers Order of National Scientist to Biotech Champ
- Protein in Tomato Explains Long-standing Plant Immunity Mystery
- HKU Plant Scientists Identify Strategy to Enhance Rice Grain Yield
- GM Poplar Field Trials Result to Sustainable Biomass Production Without Isoprene Emission
Plant Breeding Innovations
- OsABA8ox2 Suppresses Root Elongation and Contributes to Drought Response in Rice
- Functional FLN2 Vital in Salinity Tolerance of Rice
Subscribe to CBU: