PH Solon Lauds Approval of Golden Rice, Endorses Passage of Nat'l Biotech LawJanuary 8, 2020
The GR2E Golden Rice, a project of the Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) and International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), was recently issued a permit for direct use as food and feed, or for processing (FFP) by the Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Plant Industry (DA-BPI). The genetically modified crop intends to address Vitamin A deficiency, which is a global public health problem particularly among children and pregnant women.
Garin is also leading legislative efforts in Congress to promote safe and responsible use of biotechnology in the country. She appealed to the House Leadership for the passage of House Bill No. 3372 or the proposed Modern Biotechnology Act, which seeks to "to expedite the regulatory decision-making process in biotechnology to help ensure the health and well-being of Filipinos, promote competitiveness, help reduce hunger and poverty, and help mitigate the effects of climate change."
The Bill likewise calls for the establishment of the Biotechnology Authority of the Philippines (BioAP), which will lead to developing the biotech industry and streamlining the country's biosafety regulations. The BioAP, which will be an attached agency of the Department of Science and Technology, shall also be tasked to provide sustained funding for modern biotechnology technology programs in agriculture, agroforestry, food processing, health, and manufacturing high-value products for local and international markets.
For more details, read the news article in Manila Bulletin.
You might also like:
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Vitamin A-Enriched Rice Approval in PH Gets Support from Golden Rice Humanitarian Board
- Technology to Accelerate Search for Drought Tolerant Chickpeas
- PH Solon Lauds Approval of Golden Rice, Endorses Passage of Nat'l Biotech Law
- Punjab Seed Council Approves New Bt Cotton Variety
- China Announces Plan to Issue Biosafety Certificates for GM Soybean and Corn
- South Australia Lifts Ban on GM Crops
- PH President Confers Order of National Scientist to Biotech Champ
- Protein in Tomato Explains Long-standing Plant Immunity Mystery
- HKU Plant Scientists Identify Strategy to Enhance Rice Grain Yield
- GM Poplar Field Trials Result to Sustainable Biomass Production Without Isoprene Emission
Plant Breeding Innovations
- OsABA8ox2 Suppresses Root Elongation and Contributes to Drought Response in Rice
- Functional FLN2 Vital in Salinity Tolerance of Rice
Subscribe to CBU: