Scientists Find Candidate Gene for Improving Potassium Deficiency Tolerance in RiceJune 20, 2018
Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) have been implicated in the toxic reduction and intracellular concentration regulation of hydrogen peroxide. In Arabidopsis thaliana, the At2-CysPrxB gene is essential in maintaining the water-water cycle for proper hydrogen peroxide scavenging.
While 2-Cys Prxs have been extensively studied in Arabidopsis thaliana, the function of 2-Cys Prxs in rice is unclear. Xiaohui Mao from Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University in China led a team of researchers to investigate the rice homologue of At2-CysPrxB, OsPRX2, and its effect on Potassium deficiency tolerance in rice.
Analysis found that OsPRX2 was localized in the chloroplast. Overexpression of OsPRX2 caused enhanced potassium-deficiency tolerance, whereas CRISPR-knockout of OsPRX2 lead to serious defects in leaves and stomatal opening under the potassium- deficient conditions.
These results confirm the OsPRX2 is a potential target for engineering plants with improved tolerance to potassium deficiency.
For more information on this study, read the article in Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Study Shows Farm Income and Production Impacts of GM Crop Technology from 1996 to 2016
- AATF Receives Multi-million Grant for Bt Maize Commercialization in Africa
- Agriculture Minister Proposes a Law to Regulate Seeds and Seed Varieties in Namibia
- High-protein Maize Shows Resistance to Parasitic Weed
- Critical Plant Gene Takes Detour that Could Boost Biofuel Yields
- HarvXtra® Alfalfa Trait Deregulated in Argentina
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments on GM Canola Field Trials
- "Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" Book Now Available in Gujarati
- Plant Defense Genes Rewired to Reduce Crop Waste
- New Type of Photosynthesis Discovered
- GmNMH7 Inhibits Root and Nodule Development in Soybean
- IbSnRK1 Gene Improves Starch Content and Quality in Sweet Potato
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Downregulation of C3'H Gene in Rice Alters Cell Wall Structures
- Scientists Find Candidate Gene for Improving Potassium Deficiency Tolerance in Rice
- APETALA2 Gene Key to Improving Seed Production in Brassica Species
- Researchers Use CRISPR to Improve Nutrient Use Efficiency of Rice
- GPMB 2018
- World Food Day 2018 Poster Contest
Subscribe to CBU: