Agriculture Minister Proposes a Law to Regulate Seeds and Seed Varieties in NamibiaJune 20, 2018
Namibia's Minister of Agriculture, Water, and Forestry, Alpheus !Naruseb, tabled the Seed and Seed Varieties Bill in the National Assembly. The bill is aimed at regulating the production, processing, certification, marketing, and trade of seed varieties in the country and safeguarding the quality of crops to ensure good yields.
"Due to the speedy pace of globalization, countries with strong seed legislation will find it extremely difficult to regulate the import of seeds and other related planting materials from other countries. Setting up regulatory framework will ensure a minimum standard of genetic purity and seed quality and protection thereof.
The proposed law also recommends the appointment of a seed and seed variety registrar to certify such products.
Know more from the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Study Shows Farm Income and Production Impacts of GM Crop Technology from 1996 to 2016
- AATF Receives Multi-million Grant for Bt Maize Commercialization in Africa
- Agriculture Minister Proposes a Law to Regulate Seeds and Seed Varieties in Namibia
- High-protein Maize Shows Resistance to Parasitic Weed
- Critical Plant Gene Takes Detour that Could Boost Biofuel Yields
- HarvXtra® Alfalfa Trait Deregulated in Argentina
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments on GM Canola Field Trials
- "Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" Book Now Available in Gujarati
- Plant Defense Genes Rewired to Reduce Crop Waste
- New Type of Photosynthesis Discovered
- GmNMH7 Inhibits Root and Nodule Development in Soybean
- IbSnRK1 Gene Improves Starch Content and Quality in Sweet Potato
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Downregulation of C3'H Gene in Rice Alters Cell Wall Structures
- Scientists Find Candidate Gene for Improving Potassium Deficiency Tolerance in Rice
- APETALA2 Gene Key to Improving Seed Production in Brassica Species
- Researchers Use CRISPR to Improve Nutrient Use Efficiency of Rice
- GPMB 2018
- World Food Day 2018 Poster Contest
Subscribe to CBU: