Indian Researchers Test CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in BananaDecember 13, 2017
CRISPR-Cas9 has been reported for precise genome modification in many plants. However, it has not been reported in banana. To prove this concept, researchers from the National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute in India performed a mutation in the phytoene desaturase gene (RAS-PDS) of banana cv. Rasthali using the CRISPR-Cas9 system.
Two PDS genes, RAS-PDS1 and RAS-PDS2, were isolated from Rasthali and analysis confirmed that both PDS comprises conserved motifs for enzyme activity. A single guide RNA (sgRNA) was designed to target the conserved region of these two RAS-PDS genes and transformed with Cas9 in embryogenic cell suspension (ECS) cultures.
Complete albino and variegated phenotype were observed among the generated plantlets. DNA sequencing of 13 plants confirmed indels with a 59% mutation frequency in RAS-PDS. The decreased chlorophyll and total carotenoid contents were observed in mutant lines, revealing the functional disruption of both RAS-PDS genes.
These results demonstrate that genome editing through CRISPR-Cas9 can be applied for banana genome modification.
For more information, read the article in Functional & Integrative Genomics.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Calls for Urgent Actions to Reverse the Rise in Hunger
- Global Impact of Not Planting Herbicide Tolerant Crops Due to Glyphosate Ban
- Study Identifies Genetic Basis of Western Corn Rootworm Resistance
- New Technique to Help Plant Breeders Develop Drought Resistant Varieties Faster
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Perennial Ryegrass
- Max Planck Researchers Engineer Key Enzyme in Photosynthesis
- DND1-Silencing in Potato and Tomato Confers Resistance to Botrytis cinerea
- ThPP1 Gene Enhances Alkali Stress Tolerance in Transgenic Rice
- Arabidopsis' AtGOLS1 Gene Negatively Regulates Seed Germination
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Indian Researchers Test CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in Banana
- Lignin Reduction Observed in CRISPR-Edited Switchgrass
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Salk Scientists Use Modified CRISPR System to Treat Diseases
- Sugarcane in Africa
- Biotech Crop and Traits Annual Updates
- ISAAA Blog: Clive James and ISAAA, Top Sources of Info on Biotech in the Philippines
Subscribe to CBU: