TALEN-Mediated Mutagenesis of Large Number of COMT Copies in SugarcaneSeptember 27, 2017
Sugarcane is the world's most efficient feedstock for commercial production of bioethanol. In previous studies, RNAi suppression of the lignin biosynthetic gene, caffeic acid O-methyltransferase (COMT) have improved ethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass. However, sugarcane's highly polyploid genome presents quite a challenge for genetic modification techniques. Baskaran Kannan of University of Florida in the US targeted COMT with a single pair of Transcription Activator-Like Effector Nuclease (TALEN) for multi-allelic mutagenesis to modify lignin biosynthesis in sugarcane.
COMT mutants showed up to 19.7% lignin reduction and had significantly improved saccharification efficiency. Biomass production of COMT mutant lines with superior saccharification efficiency also did not differ significantly from the original cultivar under replicated field conditions.
Analysis revealed that mutations in 107 of the 109 COMT copies in the progeny of mutant lines using a single TALEN pair. The mutant line combined altered cell wall composition and greatly improved saccharification efficiency with good agronomic performance.
This study confirms the feasibility of mutating a very large number of target alleles for improvement of crops with complex genomes.
For more on this study, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Millet Genome Sequenced by Scientists from 10 Countries
- Kenya to Start National Performance Trials for Bt Cotton
- Scientists Unravel Mysteries of DNA Replication in Corn
- Cornell Alliance Launches New Campaign to Support Agri Innovations in Developing Nations
- Nagoya Scientists Develop Molecule that Increases the Number of Stomata
- Filipino Farmers Trained on Biotech and Science Communication
- White Guinea Yam Genome Sequenced
- Research Sheds Light on How Plants Breathe
- EU Court Rules that Prejudices on GMOs are Unfounded
- NHX Transporters from Jerusalem Artichoke Improves Salinity Tolerance in Rice
- RNAi-Mediated Resistance of Transgenic Lettuce to Whiteflies
Plant Breeding Innovations
- TALEN-Mediated Mutagenesis of Large Number of COMT Copies in Sugarcane
Beyond Crop Biotech
- International Team Publishes Asian Citrus Pysllid Genome
- Only Two Genes Control the Stripes and Color of Butterfly Wings
- Video: How Bt Eggplant Rescued Bangladesh's Staple Crop
Subscribe to CBU: