Kenya to Start National Performance Trials for Bt CottonSeptember 27, 2017
The National Biosafety Authority of Kenya has approved the field trial of Bt cotton (MON 15985 event). In The Kenya Gazette issued on September 8, 2017, published by the Authority of the Republic of Kenya, the Gazette Notice No. 8846 lists the approved GM applications in 2016-2017, including transgenic bananas for resistance to Banana Xanthomas Wilt (BXW) disease, and laboratory and greenhouse trials of modified sweet potato for weevil resistance which were approved in November 2016.
The Bt cotton project aims to release the insect protected cotton and its varietal derivatives in Kenya, while research on transgenic bananas evaluates local Kenyan farmers' preferred varieties for resistance to BXW disease under confined field conditions. Research on GM sweet potato evaluates weevil resistance through RNAi technology under laboratory and greenhouse trials in Kenya.
To read more, download the Kenya Gazette Vol. CXIX No. 132.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Millet Genome Sequenced by Scientists from 10 Countries
- Kenya to Start National Performance Trials for Bt Cotton
- Scientists Unravel Mysteries of DNA Replication in Corn
- Cornell Alliance Launches New Campaign to Support Agri Innovations in Developing Nations
- Nagoya Scientists Develop Molecule that Increases the Number of Stomata
- Filipino Farmers Trained on Biotech and Science Communication
- White Guinea Yam Genome Sequenced
- Research Sheds Light on How Plants Breathe
- EU Court Rules that Prejudices on GMOs are Unfounded
- NHX Transporters from Jerusalem Artichoke Improves Salinity Tolerance in Rice
- RNAi-Mediated Resistance of Transgenic Lettuce to Whiteflies
Plant Breeding Innovations
- TALEN-Mediated Mutagenesis of Large Number of COMT Copies in Sugarcane
Beyond Crop Biotech
- International Team Publishes Asian Citrus Pysllid Genome
- Only Two Genes Control the Stripes and Color of Butterfly Wings
- Video: How Bt Eggplant Rescued Bangladesh's Staple Crop
Subscribe to CBU: