Only Two Genes Control the Stripes and Color of Butterfly WingsSeptember 27, 2017
A pair of genes determines the stripes and colors of butterflies, according to two research papers published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
In the first paper authored by Linlin Zhang and colleagues at Cornell University, CRISPR-Cas9 was used to "break" the gene, which made the butterflies wings black and white. The second study conducted by Cornell's Anyi Mazo-Vargas and other researchers from various institutions, showed that when the WntA gene is cut out with CRISPR-Cas9, stripe patterns disappear.
The results show how single genes have such immense impact. They counter the idea that control of complex traits such as butterfly color patterns would involve multiple genes.
Read more from Cornell University.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Millet Genome Sequenced by Scientists from 10 Countries
- Kenya to Start National Performance Trials for Bt Cotton
- Scientists Unravel Mysteries of DNA Replication in Corn
- Cornell Alliance Launches New Campaign to Support Agri Innovations in Developing Nations
- Nagoya Scientists Develop Molecule that Increases the Number of Stomata
- Filipino Farmers Trained on Biotech and Science Communication
- White Guinea Yam Genome Sequenced
- Research Sheds Light on How Plants Breathe
- EU Court Rules that Prejudices on GMOs are Unfounded
- NHX Transporters from Jerusalem Artichoke Improves Salinity Tolerance in Rice
- RNAi-Mediated Resistance of Transgenic Lettuce to Whiteflies
Plant Breeding Innovations
- TALEN-Mediated Mutagenesis of Large Number of COMT Copies in Sugarcane
Beyond Crop Biotech
- International Team Publishes Asian Citrus Pysllid Genome
- Only Two Genes Control the Stripes and Color of Butterfly Wings
- Video: How Bt Eggplant Rescued Bangladesh's Staple Crop
Subscribe to CBU: