Functional Characterization of OsSAPK2 Using CRISPR-Cas9June 14, 2017
SNF 1-Related Protein Kinase 2 (SnRK2) is a family of kinases which regulates hyper-osmotic stress signaling and abscisic acid-dependent development in plants. In rice, the osmotic stress/ABA–activated protein kinase 2 (SAPK2) is the main mediator of ABA signaling. However, it has not been fully studied. Dengji Lou from the Chinese Academy of Sciences studied the function of OsSAPK2 using loss-of-function mutants produced through CRISPR-Cas9 system.
The OsSAPK2 expression level was found to be strongly upregulated by drought, high-salinity, and polyethylene glycol (PEG) treatments. The sapk2 mutants exhibited an ABA-insensitive phenotype, suggesting that OsSAPK2's role is related to ABA-mediated seed dormancy. The ossapk2 mutants were also more sensitive to drought stress and reactive oxygen species, indicating its importance in rice drought responses.
Further analysis revealed that OsSAPK2 increased drought tolerance in rice by reducing water loss by promoting stomatal closure, and upregulating the expression of stress-response genes and inducing the expression of antioxidant enzyme genes to promote ROS-scavenging abilities.
These results imply that OsSAPK2 is a potential candidate gene for future crop improvement.
For more on the study, read the article in Frontiers in Plant Science.
ISAAA shares, disseminates, and promotes science-based information to help in achieving global agricultural sustainability and development. During this time of COVID-19 pandemic, we monitor research on treatments, vaccines and keep track of the pandemic's effect on food security and agriculture. We help the public make informed decisions and actions to mitigate and recover from the impact of COVID-19. At this crucial time, we need your help. Please support our efforts today from as little as $10
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Breakthrough Research Makes Synthetic Photosynthesis Possible
- Detailed New Maize Reference Genome Shows Its Deep Resources for Continued Adaptation
- Brazil Approves GM Sugarcane for Commercial Use
- Researchers Identify Gene Against Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus
- Study Shows Rice First Cultivated in China 10,000 Years Ago
- Filipino Crop Scientists Tackle Ways to Face Climate Change and Globalization
- South Korean Consumer Group Hosts ISAAA Brief 52 Seminar
- Scientists Discover that Symbiotic Fungi Get Carbon from Plants in the Form of Fatty Acids
- Apple Genome Sequence Published
- Alcohol dehydrogenase 1 Confers Abiotic and Biotic Stress Resistance in Arabidopsis
- Non-target Arthropod Risk Assessment for Bt Rice in China
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Functional Characterization of OsSAPK2 Using CRISPR-Cas9
- CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Deletion of a Target Gene in Indica Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Identify a Carotenoid Biosynthetic Gene in Rhodosporidium toruloides
- EFSA Releases Literature Review of Baseline Information on Assessment of RNAi-based GM Plants
Subscribe to CBU: