Improving Betulinic Acid Production in Betula platyphyllaAugust 31, 2016
Betulinic acid (BA) is a lupane-type triterpene which is a promising agent to cure melanoma. BA is naturally-produced in plants and previous studies have reported the success of BA production in yeast. Chinese Academy of Sciences researchers Chen Zhou and Jing Li attempt to improve BA synthesis in yeast using different strategies.
The team first isolated BPLO, a gene encoding a lupeol C-28 oxidase (LO) from Betula platyphylla. BPLO showed a higher activity in BA biosynthesis compared to other LOs. Two yeast platforms were also compared for engineering the production of BA. Analysis showed that the WAT11 strain was a better host for the BA pathway than the CEN.PK strain. Using the WAT11 strain and the BPLO gene, the Gal80p mutant was developed. The mutant produced 2.2 times the amount of BA that wild types strain produce.
The team improved BA production in yeast via multiple strategies, including the use of a novel LO enzyme with a higher activity and choosing a better host for the BA pathway.
For more on this study, read the full article in BMC Biotechnology.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- GM Seeds Market Growth to Increase through 2020 Due to Rise in Biofuels Use
- Tanzania Minister Asks Ugandan Researchers to Help Farmers
- Kenyan County Executives of Health, Environment and Agri Call for Lifting of GMO Ban
- Cornell University and edX Offer GMO-focused Massive Open Online Course
- FSANZ Calls for Submissions on GM Potato
- Confined Field Trial of GM Maize MON810 Starts in Vietnam
- Large Scale Field Trial of GM Maize MIR162 in Son La, Vietnam
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion for Market Release of Five-Event Stack Maize
- Gshdz4 Gene from Wild Soybean Regulates Bicarbonate Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Cotton Gene GhRaf19 Confers Cold Resistance but Negatively Regulates Drought and Salt Tolerance
Plant Breeding Innovations
- ARGOS8 Variants Generated via CRISPR-Cas9 Improve Maize Grain Yield
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Improving Betulinic Acid Production in Betula platyphylla
- Kenyan Scientist Receives the 2016 Norman Borlaug Award
- Infographic: How do GMOs Help Preserve H2O?
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends
Subscribe to CBU: