Chlamydial Infection in Men Causes Apoptosis of Sperm CellsJuly 23, 2014
Researchers from the University of Sfax in Tunisia conducted a study to determine the prevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis, Mycoplasmas, and Ureaplasmas in semen samples from male partners of infertile couples. Another objective of their study was to investigate whether Chlamydia trachomatis could initiate apoptosis, or programmed cell death, in human sperm cells.
A total of 85 male partners of infertile couples underwent routine semen analysis. Specimens were examined for the presence of Chlamydia trachomatis and other sexually transmitted bacteria as well as for the appearance of apoptotic markers such as sperm DNA fragmentation.
The semen of infertile men positive for C. trachomatis showed lower semen count and lower rapid progressive motility of sperm compared to uninfected men. DNA fragmentation was also increased in sperm of infertile men positive for C. trachomatis compared to uninfected men. Thus, C. trachomatis infection could be causing apoptosis of sperm and may explain the effect of C. trachomatis infection on sperm fertilizing ability.
If you want to learn more about this research, kindly visit: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0098903.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Brief 47: The Status of Commercialized Bt Brinjal in Bangladesh
- Genetic Blueprint of Bread Wheat Genome Unveiled
- Global Biotech Groups Unite
- US House Agri Subcommittee Highlights Benefits of Biotech
- Report Shows GM Corn Area Nearly Doubled in a Decade
- Hokkaido Farmers Hopeful for Field Trials of GM Crops
- Less Chlorophyll to Boost Wheat Yields
- Novel Gene for Salt Tolerance Found in Wild Soybean
- Korea Holds Plant Breeding Symposium
- Researchers Capture Genetic Snapshot of Maize
- Scientists Watch Photosynthesis in Action
- Solar Ultraviolet Radiation May Improve Grape Fruit and Wine Quality
- Rhodococcus Requires Only a Single Cytokinin to Cause Gall Symptoms.
- MLO Gene Family may Hold Key to Powdery Mildew Resistance in Rosaceae Species
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Chlamydial Infection in Men Causes Apoptosis of Sperm Cells
- Bioinformatics Training
- Country Biotech Facts and Trends
- Infographic on GM Safety
Subscribe to CBU: