Key Considerations for Risk Assessment of Gene Drive Technologies
The potential uses and impacts of gene drive technologies are a topic of growing interest in many countries at the international and national levels. A continuation of our webinar series last year, the 2022 Gene Drive Webinar Series aims to explore gene drive in its many types to show there is no “one size fits all” approach when evaluating policies’ implications or assessing gene drive risks.
The second webinar of the series explores what researchers are thinking about regulation and oversight of the processes through which gene drive is being developed and potentially deployed. Panelists discuss the appropriateness of current guidelines, best practices, and gaps.
Dr. Heidi Mitchell
Director, Contained Dealings Evaluation Section
Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR)
Australian Government Department of Health
Dr. Vibha Ahuja
Chief General Manager
Biotech Consortium India Limited
Dr. Hector Quemada
Principal Research Associate
Western Michigan University
Dr. Saturnina Halos
President and Chair of the Board of Directors
Biotechnology Coalition of the Philippines
The webinar is hosted by the ISAAA SEAsiaCenter and co-organized with the Outreach Network for Gene Drive Research and the ISAAA Biotechnology Information Centers. Registration to the webinar is free and open to all.
2022 Gene Drive Webinar Series
- Gene Drive Organisms: There is No One Size Fits All
- Key Considerations for Risk Assessment of Gene Drive Technologies
- Integrating Social, Economic and Health Aspects Into Decision-making Process
- Do we need a new regulatory framework to ensure gene drives are safe? - Dr Heidi Mitchell
- Capacity Building: Are we ready to regulate Gene Drive organisms? - Dr. Vibha Ahuja
- Gene Drive Risk Assessment: Developing Approaches - Hector Quemada