Research Center for GM Technology in Western AustraliaNovember 25, 2011
The first of two state-of-the art scientific facilities in Western Australia was inaugurated by Agriculture and Food Minister Terry Redman. The Minister said: "It is important for the Australian grains industry to have access to the latest innovation, including GM technology, to remain internationally competitive."
The integrated field and laboratory complex at Merredin will enable agricultural research, particularly using GM technology to develop crops that can cope with climate change. A trial by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) is already underway to study the genetic potential of several lines of GM wheat and barley.
Part of the Liberal-National Government's $9 million commitment to the New Genes for New Environments project, the facilities conform to the national standards of the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator.
Check out http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/WACabinetMinistersSearch.aspx?ItemId=144782&minister=Redman&admin=Barnett for more information.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Adoption of Biotech Crops Affects Consumers and Farmers' Attitudes
- Food Global Demand to Double By 2050 Says UMN
- Kenya Seed Companies Urged to Go Biotech
- S&T is Top Priority in Uganda's National Development Plan
- Africa Rice Center Scientist Wins Award
- Juma: Africa Must be Open to New Biotechnology Tools
- New Gene Switch System for Tissue-Specific Induction of Gene Expression
- ISU Discovers Genetic Method to Double Algae Biomass
- Researchers Find Revelations about C4 Photosynthesis
- DuPont and Evogene Battle Soybean Rust
- Philippines Celebrates 7th National Biotechnology Week
- CMDV to Accelerate Conventional Breeding in Malaysia
- Lupin Genome Map Unraveled
- Research Center for GM Technology in Western Australia
- Field Trials for GM Canola and Cotton in Australia
- Vietnam Takes ASEAN Lead in S&T Meetings
- Biosafety Workshop in Beijing
- Alarming Decline in Europe's Fauna and Flora
- GM Plants as a Factor of Gain Growth at the Farm Level
- EFSA Updates Advice on Environmental Safety of GM Maize
- TSL Scientists to Explore Genetics to Combat New Crop Diseases
- Researchers Develop Effective Regeneration and Transformation System in Sesame
- Biotech Banana Confers Enhanced Resistance to Xanthomonas Wilt Disease
- Effect of Biotech Corn Grain Diet on Boiler Performance and Carcass Yields
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Not All "Fit" Survive
- Sequenced Genome of Arachnid Published
Subscribe to CBU: