Nations Tackle Strategies in Transforming Agrifood SystemsJanuary 18, 2023
To attain transformation in the agrifood systems, changes in the policies, mindsets, and business models must also take place. This message was highlighted by QU Dongyu, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, during the virtual dialogue of the UN Food Systems Coordination Hub held on January 12, 2023.
The virtual dialogue was attended by over 200 participants from 100 countries, including high-level national officials. National representatives shared their efforts and ideas in planning and implementing their national pathways for agrifood systems transformation towards alleviation of hunger, poverty, food loss and waste; protection of biodiversity; and mitigation of climate change.
“Our agrifood systems are not delivering effectively. Conflicts, the climate crisis, and the pandemic, have aggravated the situation, increasing the number of hungry people, intensifying inequalities and jeopardizing progress made in the past decades,” the FAO DG warned. He also stressed that transforming agrifood systems is a unique opportunity to achieve results at scale, in line with national priorities, while addressing the impacts of the climate crisis.
Get more details from FAO.
You might also like:
- FAO DG Qu Dongyu: It's Time to Transform Agrifood Systems
- Initiative to Uplift Agrifood Systems Launched in COP27
- FAO Publishes Issue Paper on Gene Editing and Agrifood Systems
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Nations Tackle Strategies in Transforming Agrifood Systems
- Rice Breeding Breakthrough Could Help Feed Billions
- China Develops High Dual Herbicide Tolerant Maize
- Yuan Longping Hi-Tech's GM Corn and Soybean Receive Biosafety Certificates
- China Approves 8 New GM Crops; Renews Approvals for 2 More
- B-SAFE Webinar Series: Biotechnology Applications and Impact on the Philippine Livestock Industry
- Research Finds GM Rice Key to Tackling Food Shortages Caused by Climate Change
- Bt Rice in China Unlikely to Increase Unintended Ecological Risk
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 22, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 15, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: